Can I get your opinions please? I am scheduled for an mri with contrast at the hospital next month, and I am hoping for some information about the side effects. My doctor has assured me that mri is absolutely safe, but how about the contrast dyes? Thanks for your help!

Can I ask what you are having the mri scan for? Contrast dyes are used sparingly, in other words mri with contrast are done only for conditions that are more easily visible with contrast. There are no dangerous side effects, but you might notice problems with your stools, and changes in your skin. These are side effects of a very temporary nature.

I did a lot of research before I had my breast MRI. There are about five contrast dyes being used in the US and Prohance is the safest because it is more stable and non-ionic Ask the MRI facility what contrast dye they use.

Also, the dosage based on your body weight is important. Ask what dosage the technician will be using based on your body weight.

Also you should use the 3T, not the 1.5T MRI. You will spend less time in the 3T MRI machine and less contrast dye can be used.

There are medicinal ways to prepare your body for the MRI for rapid elimination of the contrast dye. Study all materials and abstracts related to contract dye safety and stability on the internet.

I studied a lot and prepared myself and travelled out of state and paid out of pocket to find an MRI facility that used Prohance and 10cc of the dye based on my 115 pound body weight. Most facitilies in New York State use Magnevist or Optimark. I wanted Prohance. I had no reaction to it and had a relatively pleasant experience.

Drink plenty of water before and after to eliminate as much of the contract dye. Make sure that you ahve taken a renal function test to make sure your kidneys are functioning optimally.

Good luck!