Hi. My soon is 27 years old and he is professional handball player. But he had some attack in the middle of the field while he was playing his game. Tnx God the doctor was there, so he helped him immediately. He didn't tell me a lot about it, but he mentioned me that my son needs to have MRI procedure. I will pay as much as I need, I just want my son to be OK. But of course that I am worried and I don't want to show this to him. I don't sleep during the nigh, I am crying and I don't eat. Are there any risks of Cardiac MRI procedure?

Hey there. Every surgery has its own risk. MRI procedure as well. But you should also know that serious reactions to the contrast agent used during some MRI tests are very rare. However, side effects are possible and include next things:
• Headache
• Nausea (feeling sick to your stomach)
• Dizziness
• Changes in taste
• Allergic reactions.
Also, after this you can have chest pain. Tell me what doctors told you about this? Did they tell you that your kid needs to have special preparation or it is just a routine? Because that is also very important to know. I am with you!

I need to correct you. There are NO risks for an MRI and few, if any, side effects can occur. The test does not use radiation, and to date, there have been no documented side effects from the radio and magnetic waves it uses. Allergic reactions to the dye are rare. It is perfectly safe. Those effects that you wrote are not the effect. They use MRI procedure because of it. You need to know that if you have a pacemaker or any sort of metal implant from previous surgeries or injuries, you may not be able to receive anMRI because it uses magnets. And you need to inform your doctor about it.

Good day there. I am much calmer with this information that there are no that many dangerous things that actually can happen during and after Cardiac MRI procedure. But now, when you mentioned those side – effects, I just want to know what they are? And when you are saying side – effects, what they can be? Are they dangerous or not? Today I went to see my son, because he is in the hospital, and he told me that he has this chest pain but beside that, he is feeling ok. So please, let me know more about side effects. Thank you!

Don’t worry. Side – effects are minor.  Sure that you need some preparations for this procedure. But it can be problem if your son is claustrophobic.  So, if he is claustrophobic or have a hard time in enclosed spaces, he will definitely feel uncomfortable in the MRI machine and you need to tell this to him. You need to be aware of it as well.  Try to remember that there is nothing to fear. Talk to your doctor about your concerns before your son takes this test. They may prescribe an anti-anxiety medication to help with your discomfort. But generally, there are no dangerous.