I have just had mri scan done on my shoulder. Been suffering long term severe pain and some lack of movement. During scan which lasted approx 1 hour l felt severe pain in shoulder to the extent that nursing staff had to hep me off bed. The shoulder is now very bruised. Can anyone explain why

Did you ever get a reply? I just had an MRI for about an hour and over half way through the same thing happened to me, extreme pain in right hip socket and now bruising that is over 9" x 6" on my lower thigh. Can anyone explain??? Very concerned.

Hi, I just came back from getting an MRI of my right elbow. I experienced intense pain throughout the course of the MRI. After the test, I asked the technician what may have caused the pain as I have never had a problem like that with an MRI in the past. She told me that MRIs increase the blood flow in the area where the test is being done, so it can cause irritation. Perhaps the increase in blood flow has something to do with your bruising as well? I can say the pain I experienced was close to unbearable.

I just went for an MRI scan of my right shoulder.  The pain during the procedure was so intense I was unable to complete the scan.  This was a newer machine, unlike the old ones that look like oversized doughnuts.

AFAIK, the MRI uses a very strong static magnetic field.  This you will not feel.  But to obtain the image, microwaves are used.  The intensity of these must vary with the weight of the patient.  The old machines scanned an entire cross section of your body.  The newer machine, much smaller, apparently can scan just a small portion.  As I understand it, the intensity of the microwave beam needs to be properly adjusted.

I was very shaken by this intense pain.  Luckily, it subsided within about 5 minutes of the end of the partial scan.  I am very giddy about going back to do the scan on a high dose of pain medications.

I would be interested to know what the scanner looked like that caused others so much pain.  The one I was in looked like two round electromagnets, one above the bed and one below.  They were fairly close together -- my nose touched one as I was slid into the space between them.

BTW:  this same shoulder had an MRI scan done 25 years ago in one of the older oversized doughnut machines.  I experienced no sensations of any kind during that scan, so I was extremely surprised at the pain that this recent procedure caused.

I am 23 had a bad shoulder dislocation from a 75 lb weight  and then moved furniture on it/attempted pushups like an id**t. I have the worst pain ever I cannot believe it and it is in all of my rotator cuff muscles, sometimes I just want to fast forward time 2 years from now and be healed from this pain that ruins my life.... 

I went in an MRI machine it was a closed one, and I felt great. I was in there for about an hour, no pain I ended up closing my eyes and day dreaming, my shoulder felt better after for about 10 minutes...

I hear if you have any metal inside of you it literally will rip through your skin

After doing more research on the subject:  the large "doughnut" machines are high-field machines.  Except for the hazard of metal objects, which goes with any MRI scanner, they seem to be the ones causing the least discomfort.  The machine I described in my earlier post is known in the trade as an "open frame" machine, and is one of the newer low-field machines.  The field strength refers to the static magnetic field used by these machines.  A static magnetic field, no matter how strong, cannot be felt.

It is my speculation, that to sense the "nuclear magnetic resonance," the physical property of matter that is used for the imaging process, the low-field machines must use a stronger microwave radio source.  Weak microwave emissions cannot be felt; but strong microwave emissions can be sensed.  Consider what happens to popcorn in a microwave oven, whose entire operation depends upon extremely strong microwave energy.  Microwaves can cause heating.  Microwaves can stimulate small electrical currents, perhaps enough to trigger already irritated nerves in a sore shoulder.

Anyhow, thanks for reporting that a high-field machine produced a scan with no adverse side-effects.  That is also my experience.  But I say, watch out for the new "low-field" machines.

Just had an MRI for shoulder and woke up this morning with bruising on my lower abdomen.

The machine broke down three times during the procedure, and what would have been a 45 minute scan turned into a 2 hr ordeal.

Of course when I called the technician, they said it could not be from the machine.

had mri for hand ,closed donut kind of machine. intense heat, pain in shoulder and chest, sensation of ants crawling all over. after i have light bruising all over abdomen and arms, broken capelairies and small scattered blood blisters on my thighs. i was crying from the pain and couldn't get off bed. tec also said not mri causing it.. i have hemochromotosis...iron overload....it felt like metal being microwaved in my body. headache and disoriented had to call for ride home. i stopped half way through procedure...never again

I have just had a MRI scan without contrast for a shoulder injury. I am a medical professional by trade and I had pain of 6 to 7 of the scan with a Stinger running down my arm. I had to stop the test twice before only get 3/4 of the test completed before I said enough. Walke over to the radiologist and discussed it with me and said that he had never seen it. Any answers out therE.

Had an mri this am & experienced abdominal pain - sort of a burning/cramping feeling and felt prickling on my skin's surface in other areas.  The tech said that he's heard of it happening before - the radio waves the machine uses can cause neural stimulation.  Was happy to know I'm not the only freak out there this happened to ;-)

I just got back from having an MRI done on my entire spine and neck. The procedure took about 90 minutes. During that time I experienced horrible pain throughout my stomach and down my arms. I have had an MRI done before and never had an issue. When the procedure was finished I had asked the technician if there was a reason as to why that had happened she told me it could not be related to the scan. I felt fine when I went in but felt horrible when it was over.

anyone who has Amalgam fillings, anyone who has Hemochomotosis, anyone who has Heavy metal Overload or poisoning, SHOULD NOT EVER EVER HAVE AN MRI unless it's a life threatening situation. I have Heavy Metal Poisioning (HMP lodges itself in organs in the body and then eventually in the brain) and have amalgam fillings, which contrary to popular belief, my dentist tells me small amounts of a silver derivative are still used which give off gasses also causing yeast Infection). Unfortunately I didn't know this until I got the MRI. I asked the Tech (like you all did) and because they're either all liars who don't want to get sued or they're all brain washed, they all said, "No side effects, It's totally safe...it's not like radiation." THAT night I had symptoms of Anyerism. I was afraid to go to sleep for fear that I wouldn't awaken. I kissed my babies good night & told them Mommy loved them & kissed my husband & prayed, but It felt like a LIVE WIRE stabbed to the back of my head that night. I was afraid to go to sleep. I also heard a transistor radio-ish sound going from one ear to the other (the sound went in and out) and an electric pulse which made me grab my head suddenly with pain. There were vision disturbances as well. It has been 2mos since my MRI and those drastic side effects have subsided, but these symptoms come and go in dribs and drabs in a low key manner, though mostly at night and when I've been in front of the computer. Now all I feel is a fading in and out feeling in my head, like I'm falling...it's in the front of my head. I have been directed by a specialist that you must Detox the Heavy Metals from the organs first with Chlorella & Cilantro pills for a year and then IV Chelation only AFTER you've gotten all your fillings replaced with Porcelain. I need a financial Miracle for the latter, but at least I can get it out of my brain. This HMP has caused me confusion, panic, mental paralysis, depression, forgetfulness and often I can't find the right word to spit out when speaking like an Alzhiemer's patient....most of my family have this problem. I attribute most of it to the Vacinnes in the 80's and the use of Bizmuth (Pepto) as well as the dirty water & yeast issues we all seem to have from the Heavy Metals. Hope this helps.

Can't believe I'm reading this....... In 2012, I had numerous MRI's of my spine and with each one, I was brought to tears from the intense pain. I amost didn't make it through some of them, but I forced myself even sobbing not to tell them I had to come out. It was worth it because they finally found a synovial cyst wrapped around my lumbar spine and I had a neurosurgeon remove it- very sucessfully.

But now I've been suffering with intense shoulder pain for about 6 months. I'm still on a lot of the pain meds from the spine thing and I am seeing a pain management doc to help me get off the heavy duty meds. When we got down to a lower level, that's when this shoulder started SCREAMING pain at me. SO............ I'm in the MRI two days ago and they made me very comfortable. About 15 minutes into this thing, I start feeling INTENSE pain in my shoulder. I had even taken extra pain meds for the procedure. I told the guy that I didn't know if I could finish it, but he kept saying "It won't be much longer" Honestly I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. When he finally brought me out, I was sobbing like a child and was very embarrassed.  He didn't even offer to help me get up!!! GRRRRRRRRR    Anyway, this is VERY interesting to hear from others that the MRI itself brought on such pain. I wonder what doctors are not telling us........you know??

Hi, I have had a couple of MRI's of my spine done, where I had extreme pain (to me if felt that someone had put hooks around my spine and was trying to pull it out, and that I was pinned back and couldn't move) and I thought I was just kind of crazy (especially after describing the horrific pain to the doctors who just said they had never even heard of that and looked at me like I was making things up). Both of my MRI's were done in one of the sitting or standing type of machine, where they have you in a chair and they pull it back into the machine but it is fully open in the front. I'm not sure the accuracy of what the tech told me, when I told her of the pain, but she told me it was because of the machine moving hydrogen molecules in your system, and some people are more sensitive to that than others.  She told me that some people don't feel it, some feel it as waves, and others are super "lucky" and get horrible pain out of the deal.

I would love to find out the accuracy of this, or even just why a procedure that all these doctors swear shouldn't hurt is so painful.

i had a shoulder scan done a couple of days ago ,ide rate the pain as extreme ,i stuck it out as i wanted to get the results asap .i had to be helped to sit and stand afterwards .went in to shock and my blood pressure dropped out ,took an hour for my body to stabilise .if i lived in the u.s.a ide be sueing /am putting in a complaint to hospital first thing monday morning