My doctor recommended me myelogram. He said that is the only way to discover any abnormalities of the spine, spinal cord, or surrounding structures. He decided to this step since I have got some undefined problems with my back. He told me this examination is going to assists him in making a diagnosis. I want to know more about process of myelogram.

A myelogram is an x-ray examination performed by a radiologist to enable your doctor to detect any abnormality that should be treated. The radiologist interprets the information from the procedure and reports it to your doctor. He is going to discuss the report with you and decide what to do. Myelogram is performed with help of a contrast material, a dye that can be seen on an x-ray. This is injected into the fluid-filled space around the spinal cord. The radiologist may use one of two different contrast materials. This might be an oil-based liquid that is removed after the x-ray exam and a water-based liquid that is not removed after the x-ray exam. Depending on the type of dye used, it may then be removed after the procedure, or left in to be absorbed by your own body. A myelogram is an out-patient procedure, where is important that if you know you have any allergy, you should report it to your doctor prior to the examination.