I quit smoking 3 weeks ago with the help of Chantix, which is great for cravings and mood swings. The first week I felt fine, the second week I had a sore throat and ear ache. I was given Antibiotics, which really didn't help. I did tell the Dr. that I had quit smoking. Week two the throat pain and ear ache were almost gone, but the chest and upper back started hurting. Went to the Dr. again, this time the same Dr. that prescript the Chantix. I also told him that I had quit...he prescript Steroids for an "inflammed" nerve in my back and meds for Heartburn. Week three, my chest and back still hurt, I burp a lot now, and started having a "strong" heart beat that I can feel in my throat and middle of my chest.
I have call in to the Dr. to see if these are side effects from the Chantix or from quitting. I will let you know what he says.

I had similar symptoms after quitting for almost 2 week. Heart pulpitations and dizziness with chest spasm like feelings. It almost feels like I cant catch a breath. Seen the dr and the o2 % in the body was 99%

Have problems sleeping normally and often wake in the middle of the trying to catch my breath. Dr says the heart is normal and prescribed zanax which calmed me down. Although the heartbeat is throbbing it still beats at 72 bpm. I have not tried chantix. let me know how it went with the dr and the effects you still have

I have been on Chantix for nine days now and really have been feeling great, although now I have a side effect - I cannot wear my contacts as my eyes are irritated and are leaking. I visited my eye doctor yesterday and he said maybe it is just coincidence that this started happening around the same time as I started the drug. It may be really bad allergies. I just started taking Claritan and am using warm compresses and see where that gets me. Just wondered if this was happening to anyone else. Thanks!

I quit about 3 weeks ago and had all the same problems. I've had anxiety before but been having severe attacks lately. I took some Ativan, which helped but mostly u need to bring yourself out of an attack. The chest and upper back pain in my lungs continues somewhat now and sometime i feel a burning sensation in my chest which makes me nervous yhat im gonna have a heart attack or somthing, which brings on the anxiety. All said it has to be done for my health and for me to be able to be proud of myself. Especially because of my daughter. I used to say that all i did was smoke weed...now i realize that ALL i've done is smoke weed. Much luck to anyone who is going through this too. god will see you through. Just have faith. change doesent happen overnight. Be strong & god Bless!

i've been trying to cut down on my intake of smoking weed, i used to because i have alot of stomach issues but now im wondering if it is a side effect of it leaving my body or if it has been the same problem all along. does anyone else get nauseas after trying to quit?

I am a registered nurse and just quit smoking 12 days ago. I considered using chantix to quit, but after I researched the drug, there was no way I was going to expose myself to such harmful side effects. I quit cold turkey using a patch for just 2 days. Please research chantix before taking the medication. A doctor is going to want you to take it to quit. I personally didn't want to experience heart palpitations, increased anxiety or difficulty urinating, etc. I was a heavy smoker. I loved to smoke. I smoked a pack/day. I just knew it was my time. Just be careful about taking chantix. I know all of us want a magic pill to make the withdrawls easier, but just remember, there's always a catch!!!!!

Is this about Weed, Or ciggerettes?

I quit smoking 3 weeks ago today. I was not a heavy smoker, about half a pack a day at most at the time I quit. I smoked for twenty one years.

I used a small dosage of daziepam (same as valium) 5mg pills, to get a break from the stress.
(This way to quit was suggested to me years ago from a very noteable surgion friend of mine)

I requested the perscription of 10 pills in total.

I never took it more then once a day nor did I even take it every day.

I took one pill each day for the first 3-4 days, right smack in the middle of the day, I would say 2 or 3 pm an ideal time, so to look forward to and get a real rest from the craving urges.

Then I did not take them daily, but more as needed when something stressful, or at least felt stressful, would happened that normal would push me for a ciggertte.

(Someone who has been smoking more I believe can take up to 4 pills a day, but even then I would stress to try and take as little as possible. Daizepam/valium can become addictive.)

All has beeen good, I have had 0 side-effects. I have no clue why more doctors do no take this path to help reduce the stress when one quits smoking.

I think its great that you want to quit smoking, if that is your choice. But I am very skeptical of trading one drug for another. I am sure the Dr. is psyched that you are now looking for a "new drug" that he can give you every single day of the week. Hows about, without sounding mean or without compassion, some f-ing WILLPOWER. You smoke when you are bored. Life can get f-ing boring, so find ways to fill it up. NO PUN INTENDED> Try a glass of wine before bed if you cannot sleep. Cut back and only smoke once in a while if you really enjoy smoking. Don't go to the Dr. for every little thing my friend, its a business, and they want your money just as much as the dealer on the street. Let's all get strong without patches and pills. MIND over MATTER. It can be done.

:-)

I couldn't agree with you more. I quit smoking a little over 3 weeks ago without any help and I think that either you want to quit or you don't. If you don't then don't but if you do then you will and you don't need anyone to help you by giving you patches or other drugs to quit a drug. A lot of sence that makes to take a drug to quit a drug......suck it up and deal with the side effects either way!

I quit smoking Dec. 26th of last year, the last couple weeks my senses of smell and taste are going haywire. Everything smells really foul! and tastes worse. anybody else had this problem after quitting, I should point out I smoked for almost 40 years!

I also have quit smoking after close to 40 years. I thought it was me. It has been 5 days I had to come off Chantix. My stomach is constantly wavy. The smell of food is horrible to me. Coffee does not trigger my urge but even that smells as though it is burnt. People tell me that it takes time for the body to get over the change.
But how long? o.O

I have been gradually cutting back on my smoking for over a year now. I used to smoke about a pack a day, I cut it to half a pack, then to like 5, then to 3, and now I have had 1 in the past 3 days. I hope to be totally smoke free by May. However, I have been feeling more anxious than usual, but I hope that will pass soon...I am also a bit more irritable and I have a lot of body aches and pains, I don't know if the body aches and pains are something non related to quitting though.... I am currently student teaching and am under a lot of stress....so not ideal time to quit, but I don't want to go into school smelling of smoke. Anyway, I hope this pain is just something like sleeping wrong or moving weird.

:-D I'm in the process of stopping smoking - 1 week today - For 18 odd years I've smoked a pack a day and numerous times have tried to quit unsuccessfully - mainly because I was doing it for someone else rather than because i wanted to. However even with the greatest will, there's no getting away from the side effects of nicotine withdrawal - whether minor or 'turn you into demon' variety! Like some of you have said it all affects us in different ways - this time I've tried Chantix and I have to say I feel great! So far I've had few side effects - the most interesting are the very vivid dreams and a bit of a stuffy nose! And yes, I still feel like I could enjoy a cigarette but don't have the anxiety I've normally experienced giving up - having tried cold turkey, patches, gum and just cutting down in the past the Chantix is rating tops for me. Hopefully it will last and in 2.5 months when the course is over I can declare myself a non-smoker - but until then I'm greatful to have something which appears to be easing the strain a bit... I think it's like anything it will work better for some than others...Good luck to whoever else who's made the decision to quit - lets all keep our fingers crossed.

I used Chantix to quit smoking and all I have to say is it is wonderful! It's been over 6 months for my husband and 2 months for me! My only side effects were that I had lots and lots of dreams. I would recommend Chantix to anyone thinking of quitting.