Hi, I am in the second week of my therapy for quitting smoking and I have severe withdrawal symptoms, I take nicotine chewing gums and patches. But, I am afraid that I will not manage to keep up much longer without a cigarette. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi, it’s not easy at all. I know , I gave up smoking two years ago. But, you need to find your own goals and not give up. Withdrawal symptoms start as soon as you reduce intake of nicotine, but don't worry, if you persist a few first weeks without cigarettes it will be only more and more easier for you. Even watching other people smoking will not be such a temptation as it is now. But, try to avoid any public places where smoking is allowed. Keep taking nicotine chewing gums and patches, as they will provide you with nicotine and not with other poisoning ingredients of cigarettes. They can help relieve the anxiety, irritability, insomnia and difficulty concentrating you are exposed to due to lack of cigarettes.

I read somewhere that an individual craving for nicotine will never last longer than 30 minutes (I think, maybe even shorter). Quitting nicotine smoking is tough, that's for sure. Some even say that it's the hardest addiction to quit, but I'm not sure that is true. Having had anorexia, which is also an addiction of sorts, I would say nicotine recovery is easier. Anyway, back to the topic. Your crave won't last forever. Just keep telling yourself that you are going to make it through THIS hour, THIS day, THIS crave without smoking. Remind yourself of your reasons for quitting. Remind yourself of how much better it has become already since you stopped smoking. If you lit up, you'd be right back to where you started, at the beginning of withdrawal! 

Four weeks ago I gave up smoking without taking any patches or gum
I am getting withdrawal symtoms such as aches and pains, in the chest I
feel like I am going to be sick and headaches could you please tell me
what can I do to feel beter beacause l hate being sick

Thankyou

I was a smoker for six years, and just quit 3months ago. Without the use of nicotine gums or anything. my roomates all continued smoking but i kept strong and just didnt let it affect me. Smoking is all in the mind, all you have to do, is keep busy, go for a walk,exercise, play games, read a book, but force urself not to smoke, after a month, you should be alright. withdrawal symptoms are bad too, thr phlem and the chest pains, but they go after a while, so dont worry, it all good

I'm 28 and smoked for about 8 years, 6-8 on average a day (not counting when I'd go out drinking) It's been five days since my last smoke and two since last nicotine (used the gum for a couple days, then said the hell with it... my thought is it'll clear faster if I do it cold turkey.) It's strange this time around when I quit I'm experiencing the exact opposite symptoms that I had on a previous quit attempt, (that was more sterotypical of quitting, snappy to people, antsy, craving a smoke, etc) This time around it's the exact opposite I am experiencing anxiety at night (usually wake up and can't go back to sleep) and not really eating during the day.

I was wondering is it smart thinking to not use the gum at all? ( I was only using a couple pieces a day of the 2mg when i was using it anyway) My thoughts, as stated earlier are it'll go away faster this way, but the anxiety at night and loss of appetite are horrible.

Any tips from people who've been there?"

Also... is there a way to make the nicotine go out of your body faster? I can't really do too much more orange juice or anything anymore cause it's giving me super bad acid reflux. But anything as far as foods you should eat or vitamins you shoudl take to get rid of things as fast as possible.

i am off the cigarettes 3 weeks now i drank loads of water ans after a few days i felt a real difference! try water

Hey everyone,
Just to introduce myself, i first got into smoking through social smoking (like a lot of people these days) And i started smoking more and more on a regular basis, i went through a 10/20 pack on average every 2-3 days. I got as far as Royals red and now i have got many of the above withdrawal symptoms, (funny how i quit when i have like major work to do at college (A levels)). I am experiencing, anxiety, chest pains, headaches, poor concentration, tiredness and irritability. My appetite seems to be normal though which is good as now i am back on a healthy diet! Anyway i am trying to go cold turkey and suppress my cravings by relaxing each day, drinking coffee and eating mints.
If you take the nicotine gum does it relieve the symptoms? And how long roughly does it take for a average person to get relief from the symptoms? and does regular painkillers help?!
I was a smoker for 9 months, but occasionally socially smoked over a looong period of about 2 and a half years.
Thanks
Aimz xx

As we all know, it's very difficult to stop smoking when you've done it for a very long time, considering that it contains an addictive substance. But it's all in your hands. With the right motivation, you will be able to surpass it. Good luck to all!

I think this is pretty sweet of you to post some cheering for people trying to quit. FOr getting rid of the habit, honestly, baby carrots. It does help replace a bad behavior with a good one, and often people are just used to holding a cigarette. Hold a baby carrot instead. Has anyone tried that before?

I agree with corabella. Keep it up for your goal.
I hope you'll be success.

Good luck

Thanks

I'm 31 and I smoked for 19 years and I just recently quit smoking. Try to establish an exercise routine, drink plenty water during the day it would help with the withdrawals. Try to do cardio workout before going to sleep and get enough of rest, because you will be feeling like c**p. I'm on my third week and I'm feeling much better right now.

I smked for 35 yrs and used the Allen Carr Easy Way to quit smoking and it's been ok. The physical withdrawal symptoms were managable. I kept focused on all the reasons I wanted to quit. I wrote them down and carried them with me, I also realized that a cigarateee isn't going to help with your withdrawal symptoms. As a smoker you are constantly experiencing withdrawal symptoms. They are milder because you take nicotine but nthing will ever really satisfy them until you are completely done with nicotine.

An active person will recover from withdrawal symtoms faster then a non active person... Am i right to say that?