Im 27 weeks pregnant and trying to quit smoking. Ive never really smoked too much but for some silly reason i feel like i wanna smoke more especially at night. I went to the doctors at 16 weeks and they told me that if i smoke less then a pack a day then it should be easy to quit cause its just habit not really an addiction, but im having a really hard time quitting, and i want to for the baby. Whats the best way to quit? Can I use the patch? And were do i get them? I forgot to ask today at my appointment. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I am pretty sure you cannot use the patch...I think it even has a warning to pregnant women. The nicotine from the patch goes straight to your blood, and straight to your placenta, and right to the baby. This isn't a wise means of quitting. I would say, however, that your doctors are wrong. Just because you don't smoke more than a pack a day doesn't make you any less addicted to nicotine then the next person...you are still addicted. Plus, now you are under more stress, not feeling too hot, and cigarettes probably are an 'escape'. BUT, believe me, you will wish that you would have quit the minute you found out when you see the baby for the first time. With my first daughter, I did not quit smoking until 4/5 mos...I cut back tremendously, but didn't completely stop until then. The minute that I saw her after she was born, I regreted ever single teeny weeny drag I took while she was growing inside of me. I vowed to never smoke again...which I held true to until end of 2008. I planned on quitting Feb. 1st this year, however, I found out I was pregnant on Jan 4th. I had one more cigarette that day and that was it. I haven't picked one up since, and I am so proud of it, and I know my baby is thriving in a healthy smoke-free womb. There was absolutely nothing wrong with my daughter when she was born (she was even almost 10 lbs), I just didn't comprehend the life I was responsible for until I actually saw her with my own eyes...but this time is different...I know the special joy that is growing inside me this time, and I know what I would be risking by smoking.

I know it is hard, believe me, I know, but I also know you can do it. I was a 10-year smoker and gave it up, so I know anyone can do it, including you. Your doctors can give you some pointers, some support groups, and there are prescriptions that can help, like Wellbutrin. Just think of what you are doing to this baby everytime you puff on that cancer stick.

• i am 22 weeks and i smoke a retarded amount a day try about 50 a day then i nociterd  i was somkeing that so i ask my dr what i sould do because i have try and try to just not smoke and she told me the nic patch was just fine and they did a study on it better one is gum or inhalure as it only going to the baby whe using it not all say