My wife and I are planning to quit smoking but always give up at the last moment. I’m sick of all the success stories because in our surroundings we have friends and acquaintances who tried with different success to overcome this nasty habit or should I say addiction. My main concern is nicotine withdrawal symptoms and how to overcome them?

Everything is individual and this is especially applicable for the nicotine addiction. Most of the smokers are not even aware of the scope of damage their body has sustained. Most common symptoms are: mood swings and irritability, headaches, feeling tired, weight gain, coughing and a sore throat, constant cravings, sleeplessness, feeling like something is missing.

Recovering from you nicotine habit is very easy, no matter who you are. Behold the power of intention! Nicotine addiction is all in your mind and can easily be controlled. Every now and then just say out loud and say to yourself "I am not dependent on nicotine. My habit does not control me. I do not need nicotine for my happiness, nor for my success. I am not addicted to nicotine. Remember this intention and say it to yourself every night before bed and every morning. If you believe this will help you, it will! The best thing you can do for yourself is cut back. While you're enjoying your day without excessive nicotine, avoid laying down. Get plenty of sleep at night because the craving affects you more when you are tired. Be confident in yourself and believe in yourself. Everybody has the ability to train their subconscious mind.

Have you seen or heard of the new electric cigarette. I got one and am doing well with it. It doesn't have any of the bad stuff; no tobacco, tar, chemicals, carbon monoxide, no second hand smoke, etc. It only has nicotine and it looks and feels like a cigarette. I did alot of research and the best deal I found is at www.ecigarettefree.com, you get the cigarette free when you buy the nicotine cartridges, saves you about $100, the thing I liked about it is there are diff levels of nicotine; from high to zero, so you can gradually cut back on nicotine until you are able to quit. And the nicotine cartridges are alot less expensive than regular cigarettes. Hope this helps.

Ramage said "Nicotine addiction is all in your mind" This is far from the truth. I quit smoking after 46 years of smoking.
Comments like ramage's are not helpful. I am facing withdrawal symptoms such as fatigue, blurred vision, headache around my eyes, and I do not think this somes from my mind.

Every week I help people quit smoking successfully without the withdrawal symptoms generally associated with quitting. Symptoms such as uncontrollable cravings, headaches, weight gain, irritability, and many more are caused by a war that is raging inside the mind of the smoker.

It begins something like this: At some point a person begins smoking (generally for a feeling of acceptance from peers) there are a few cases with other reasons to begin smoking but the bottom line is that at some point smoking went from being a thing that we don't do, to something we might try, to being a part of who we are. Now every day the smoker reinforces this belief and begins to associate activities with smoking.

Later the smoker decides he /she wants to put down smoking. That is where the battle begins. The subconscious mind (where our beliefs are stored) says, "hey it's time for a cigarette", or "I always smoke before / after..." and the person relies on will power to fight this desire or craving. Sadly for most, eventually will power gives out and the person says "it's just not worth trying to quit" and they are back to smoking more certain than ever that they can't quit.

As a hypnotist I see this all the time as I see clients both in my office and over the phone or online via tele hypnosis. Generally, hypnosis is not the first thing people have tried to use to quit smoking, in fact it's usually the last. So defeated the person comes to see me only half believing they will be able to quit at all. They have already tried will power, the gum, the pills, the patch, Chantix, lasers, and everything else they can think of. Then an amazing thing happens to them, after the session for the first time in years or even decades, they don't feel any desire what-so-ever to smoke! Over the course of the next few days they are further delighted and amazed to find they have no cravings or withdrawal symptoms at all.

But why this amazing transformation? Simply put the core beliefs the individual have been changed from "I am a smoker and I smoke when..." to "I am a non smoker and I'm going to remain a non smoker". Because this belief has been changed there is no struggle with the conscious will power because the conscious and subconscious are in harmony with the desire of the person to be and remain smoke free.

If you are battling with withdrawal symptoms as you stop smoking I highly recommend finding a reputable hypnotist in your area that specializes in this area. If you need more help feel free to call my office (352) 897-6154.