Hello! My son has been on singulair for the last 3 months and I have noticed a change in his behavior. Once of a sudden he would start slamming doors for a slightest thing, not listen to anybody, get angry for no reason and stuff like that. The thing is that the doctors said there is no way that singulair is causing any of the emotional distress but I am not so sure cos he has never behaved like this before.

Hi there! I am a grown up man who used to be on singulair as well. I myself had noticed changes in mood like anxiety, becoming angry at people with no reason, I had trouble sleeping…Once I realized what was going on I went to the doc and changed the medication. Then he told me that so many parents have complained about their children’s similar problems, so I suppose it is affective them even more. It would be good if you went straight to the doc and try to get something else for your child.

Singulair not only caused me to have terrible mood swings and severe gastritis, but also caused horrific cramping muscle pain in the back! I took it for eight years not realizing that the asthma medication was causing these symptoms. The doctor gave me Tramadol for the pain and this lead to an opium addiction! Tramadol is opium!!!!! From now on I will take charge of my health and never again trust an American doctor! I have sought treatment in Italy and Argentina and met the most amazing doctors there.

I totally think behavior is influenced by these medications. When my son was 2, we tried liquid Zyrtec for his asthma and allergies, and he became horrible. He would bang his forehead on the floor or wall until he actually would bruise it. He would be very uncooperative. He also had bad dreams, and it was very hard to calm him. We took him off after a few weeks and he became much better. Of course, the doctor said it had nothing to do with the medicine, just being 2. Now, he is 3, and has been on Singulair for 8 days, and he so far is acting better behaved, sweeter, kinder and more patient with himself. I don't know if it is just that he is feeling better or what. I would be interested in facts and opinions.

I thought I would share my experience with Singulair.

My doctor prescribed it for me in April after several month of ear and sinus infections which she thought might be allergy related. Sure enough i can breath, my ears and sinus have been clear...

However, I had noticed that initially I was edgy and moody. I even went to my doctor about this and she never mentioned that it could be the Singular. The moodiness seemed to level off and not be so sever. I have also had an increase in headaches, strange dreams, and stomach bloat and didnt realize these could be from the singular.

I have also been seeing a weight management Dr and lost 50 pounds, but its been very difficult to loose or maintain even though i am following the same healthy guidelines. No matter what I seemed to be stuck at that weight even though I have 50 more to loose.

I went off the singular for 2 weeks... I dropped 5 pounds within the first few days and stopped having the other symptoms i mentioned above. Now 5 days back on the singulair and the symptoms have returned and I've gained 3 pounds. My mood seemed to be very edgy, more so then the first go around.

For me, I'm not sure the benefits out weight the side effects. I think I need to talk with my Dr about this... Has anyone else had simular experiance?

I just thought I'd post too, to help all us out and others. I suffer really bad from allergies, and I went on singulaire about a month and a half ago. It worked wonders... I could finally breathe and function..... BUT..... I started getting very emotional. angry easily, over reacting, and any normal emotion would just be amplified, so if something happened that I should be upset about. I was EXTREMELY upset, or sad, really sad. I have also noticed seeing things out the corner of my eyes. My appetite actually increased. I couldn't figure all this out, but now have put two and two together. I actually don't take it eveyday anymore, but just when I can't handle my allergies on the other meds.

Thank you all so much for the info on singulair...I have a 3 yr old daughter who has been ono singulair for almost a year. Everyone says she is just bad but i know my child. Her attitude over the past year has been horrible, mood swings, huge increase in appetite. She has become very mean and unruley. I stopped giving her the singulair about 4 days ago , and I can already see a huge difference in her...Once again, Thanks so much for all the info

My family suffered horribly at the hands of Merck with Singulair. My 5 year old son took it for 6 months, and just wanted to die.

Here's my account :
My son is 5 years old and was diagnosed with asthma in early September of 2007. His pediatrician immediately put him on Singulair. I would say that within a month my son became a different person. He would have these outbursts that were not caused by anything. He started saying horrible things to his siblings, his father, and myself. His behavior was just completely abnormal. He started having anxiety attacks and he had never had one before. In February 2008 these rages and outburst became awful. I would have to hold him down if he got upset because he would hurt himself, or try to hurt me. He would always return back to normal within 15 minutes as if nothing happened. He would always say "I don't know why I did that." He then had a fit (over nothing) and started saying he wanted to kill himself, he just wanted to die, he didn't like the feeling in his body. This fit went on for about 45 minutes, and I could not calm him down. He's 5 years old and was threatening to kill himself because of this feeling in him. The next night he had the same fit only this time he wanted to kill his sister. We immediately contacted his pediatrician and multiple physiologists because something was seriously wrong. About a week later and multiple rages we had scheduled a physiological evaluation which was going to run us about $850 out of pocket. My husband did a search for Singulair and found a message board where mothers were talking about the effects of Singulair on their children, and I felt as if I were reading something I had written. I called the pediatrician and told her that we were taking him off Singulair immediately. I also called the school nurse, and the psychologists we were dealing with, and none of them knew about these side effects of Singulair. They were ready to diagnose him with Autism or ADHD. It's now almost 4 weeks later and my son is back to normal. He does not have that blank stare in his eyes, he focuses completely on the task at hand, but more importantly he has not mentioned killing himself again, no more rages. He loves all of us again and says "that feeling" has gone away. That was the most excruciating, heart wrenching thing I've ever gone through, and this drug really needs to be taken off the market. Think about all the poor parents out there going through the same thing as me and not knowing what is causing it. I hate to think if my son were a bit older and actually knew what killing himself meant, what would have happened then. This should have been taken off the market in 2007 when the teenager in NY killed himself 2 weeks after being on Singulair.

He had no preexisting conditions besides the asthma. Back in 2004 the doctors thought he had allergies so they put him on Singulair for that for about 6 months. He was a completely normal child before the Singulair. It turned him into an evil child who was tormented daily by the effects of Singulair.

Here's a quote from Merck's site "Merck voluntarily updated the worldwide product label for SINGULAIR in October 2007 to include "suicidal thinking and behavior" and included similar changes to the patient product information". So if they voluntarily updated their information, why aren't doctors aware, why is the public not privy to this information?

If you're unsure this could be related to singulair, please read this site http://www.medications.com/se/singulair to hear the accounts of thousands of parents and people that suffered with Singulair....

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. We have to educate about these side effects...strength comes in numbers.

Jen

As an adult with severe seasonal sllergic rhinitis, I was delighted at my positive response to the addition of Singulair to the Allegra that I was already taking.
I belive I began taking it in 2003. At the same time, I was taking 2 meds for anxiety and Cymbalta because of difficult circumstances in my work and personal life.
Approximately 6 months ago I began to experience sleep difficulties, mood swings, anxiety, and compulsive, pervasive thoughts.
By coincidence, I had gone to my GP for an unrelated problem, and when he asked how my life was going overall, I told him about my sleep problem. You could have knocked me over with a feather when he told me about the difficulties that were being revealed about Singulair. I haven't taken any Singulair since then (2 weeks ago) and feel about 75% better, and very hopeful that the rest of my concerns will continue to diminish. Anyone who has recently noticed difficult emotional symptoms that have decreased dramatically over a short period of time should certainly consult a medical professional if they are also taking Singulair.

My son is 5 years old and has been on singulair now for about 1 year. He was first diagnosed with Asthma last February. He was then put on Singulair for his "seasonal allergies" so that being said he only needed to take it from April-mid July. He did not show any irratic behavioral patterns last year. However, this year he has now been on Singulair since April, and just two nights ago he started showing irratic behavoir, which would include saying very inappropriate things. I have to say that my son is a very well behaved child, we do not let him watch violent movies/shows, so we couldn't figure out where this was coming from. He kept having "dreams" and in his dreams he was thinking mean evil things; knowing that these thoughts were not normal for him, he would pull us aside and whisper those thoughts into our ears, and then tell us that he stopped those "dreams" scared to death, we sat him on our bed and asked him why he was thinking like this. And all he could say was that he didn't know, but that he was trying to stop those "dreams" in between tears, I grabbed him and hugged him and we both cried together. I thought perhaps somebody in school was influencing this behavior. but I decided to google this drug and I found these posts as well as other ones too, and it was as if I had typed them myself. I am at a loss for words with this. I am so angry, I want everyone to know about this terrible drug. He will no longer be taking this medication, I will call his doctor in the morning. I am worried now about any damage (mentally) that this horrible pill has caused.
I am just so thankful that you all posted this for us to see.
Thank you so much.

My daughter was diagnosed with asthma when she was 3. She has been on Singulair 4mg. ever since. She's now 6 years old..let me tell you her story, it's terrible.
My daughter was the perfect little angel, I remember when people used to say.."wow, she's in the terrible two stage now huh?" And I said, "no, she's a little angel, no temper at all, listens, is polite, has great manners, etc." I used to get so many compliments about the way I raised her because of how thoughtful and well behaved she was. It made me feel great as a mom...she was my first!
After being on the medication for a couple of months, I noticed a HUGE difference in her overall behavior. She was so sensitive to the littlest things, she'd get very angry, sometimes so mad it scared me! She slammed doors, threw things...AT me sometimes, screamed some NOT SO NICE things to me and much more. This was NOT my child I had raised. As a parent I began to think what I did wrong all of a sudden.
Long story short....my daughter now 6, is acting the same way, worse now, she's so angry, depressed(telling me she doesn't like herself)that it frightens me and her little 3 month old brother, whom she's almost seriously injured 3 times for not being able to control her anger.
I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only parent with a concern with this medication...I am definitely going to talk to her pediatrician about this and demand that she be put on something else.
If your child is showing any of the above signs, out of the blue, seriously consider talking to his/her doctor about it :-)

Thank you for these posts. My daycare provider had to call me yesterday because she just didn't know what to do with my 6 year old son. He has been on Singulair for asthma control since he was 3. We have noticed a marked difference in his behavior in the last 6 months or so. He has a blank stare when you try to talk to him, he has erratic, jumpy behavior, aggression, bad dreams. He exhibits most of these behaviors at daycare (more kids around, I'm guessing) and not so much at home as long as the environment is controlled. But he will have outbursts when things don't go his way. I was told that he needs to be disciplined better, but I knew that there was something else going on. He has always been sweet and loving- the cuddler of my two children. But lately he has turned into a little devil child that is not his nature and I'm really stuck on what to do. So I took him off singulair (only 2 days so far) to see if I notice any changes in his behavior. I'm going to call his dr. today and discuss other treatment. I actually really hope this is the reason for his change and that it can be resolved by stopping the drug.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, it has helped a lot!

My son, who is 5, has had a long time reaction to Singulair. Numerous side effects. Stomach pain. Leg Pain. Constipation. and many many more. Now recent behavior problems. Depression, anxiety, outbursts, and just being abnorma. He has been off of Singuliair 2 weeks. He is doing great. This drug does not work for everyone. Please be careful. It may be deadly

Anyone seeking detailed information about the side effects of singulair can find explanations of the symptoms at parentsforsafety.org. We are an advocacy group of parents whose children had adverse reactions to Singulair.

We are working to promote awareness among consumers and professionals. Please visit us to see how you can help us help others.

I was prescribed Singulair by a GP two months ago for seasonal allergies. I had a sinus infection which had been treated with an antibiotic but it wouldn't seem to go away. Doc said it was allergies and gave me Singulair. First three weeks were fine - symptoms disappeared. Then I began to get edgy, anxious, would have inappropriate outbursts, become very angry for no reason. Had the prescription refilled and asked the pharmacist about it and she told me that several people had trouble like the other posts on this blog. I stopped taking it, symptoms came back and am not taking Zyrtec. I have settled down and life is back to normal so I know it was the Singulair. Thank heavens for posts like this!