My 3 year old son has been coughing at night for the last 2 months. It is so bad that he sounds like he will through up or choke!! The doctor does not see any infection and insists that it is a allergy thing or possibly asthma. I have just been told to start him on an inhaler. But also he has had very puffy eyes for the past 2 months as well. do you think these could be connected somehow?

Get a second opinion--Don't trust your doctor unless you get a second opinion.

Hi, I have a 3 1/2 year old little boy that had the same problem @ age 2 1/2 or so. That baby Would cough until he threw up. We just had no idea what to do!! He was treated for EVERYTHING!! They also did the allergy stuff to no avail.
One doctor then said, well, let's just try something. They put him on Singular (which is used basically for asthma and related things) He takes 1, 4mg a night. After being on it for 3 weeks, that child never coughed (unless he got sick) again! He's still on it and doing great! **We also added a humidifier in his room that seemed to help because of such dry air. Just make sure to keep it clean

HOPE THIS HELPS YOUR LITTLE ONE!!! :-)

I agree about getting a second opinion (or third, fourth, fifth .... as we did). Our son started coughing on cue at our bedtime (10pm) and we'd lie and wait for the signs that he was about to vomit !. All night, no sleep made us very grumpy parents. For us he was finally diagnosed indirectly (at age 4) on a visit to our other childs ENT specialist. Chronic rhinitis. It fits better than asthma diagnosis yet we keep him well on Flixotide & Ventolin when really bad. All happy now we sleep !

My 4 year old daughter is dealing with the same kind of cough. Her doctor told us 4 times already it is allergies. It sounds like she is full of mucus and yet her lungs are clear. The doctor also put her on an inhaler which didn't help at all. I think my next step after reading these posts that I will take her to an ENT. Her coughing keeps everyone is the house up at night and we are worried. There needs to be a answer to why this happend to children.

MY 3 year old boy seems to always develop a cough from September to November, EVERY NIGHT!! We are meeting with an allergist this week. Tried all the usual steps....going outside to get fresh air, humidifier, benedryl, clariton, warm bath and shower, nasonex nasal spray. He coughs until he throws up. Will look into singular. Someone suggested that it may be a mold allergy?? looking into situation.

I am fighting the same battle with my 3 year old. She has been coughing for months. First she was diagnosed with asthma by one doctor, then another said she just had milk allergies. We cut out all dairy but this morning she coughed so hard she threw up a lot of phlegm. She is so full of mucus.

Last time we visited the doctor she prescribed RANITIDINE which I refuse to give her because it can cause hallucinations and depression. We also had Singular prescribed and that was working. It was working so well we stopped using it and now she is coughing bad. We are going to put her back on the Singular but I am so frustrated I am afraid to keep giving her medicine everyday. I feel helpless watching her cough and cough and not sleeping well and not having a definitive answer from the doctors.

I did take her to a EXPENSIVE hollistic doctor. She took a whole look at her medical history and in something I thought wasn't related told us that my daughters immune system was weakened by a annual immunization. Last summer she lost 75% of her hair 3 month after her shots. Her doctor told me it could be stress but my hair doesn't fall out like that and I am stressed! Once the hair loss started about 4-5 months later the coughing started. What she said made sense. That is when all the problems began. She prescribed some hollistic medicine, algae, and gave us a list of foods to stay away from which is pretty difficult because they are base foods. I just don't know who to believe or who to trust anymore. I just want my daughter to be better.

my son is 3 and has the same problem. he starts coughing only at bedtime. no colds or coughing during the day either. the drs around here always blame something dumb on most of his sickness and it just gets obnoxious after while especially when he doesnt get better or leads to something else. he was diagnosed with RSV about a 2 yrs ago and was given a home breathing machine. it doesnt help these night time attacks. He just had scarlet fever 2 weeks ago and about a weeks after that he had these coughing fits start up. Im wondering if it has anything to do with his throat; tonsils/adenoids. He isnt wheezing or coughing anything up. Its almost as though he has a tickle in his throat. The humidifier doesnt seem to be helping either though aour house is dry it does help the rest of us. I am at a loss of how else to help him and us get a peaceful nights sleep. Im calling the great dr on monday!

I'm so glad I could find this information , because I was going to go crazy trying to find out what was wrong with my baby. I really thought I was the only one going trough this with my 4 year old , he coughs at night and its being like that for like 4 months and the doctor also told me is was allergies
I have him on singular but we ran out for like a week and now we are back sick with the cough again. At lest now I feel little bit better knowing there are some moms going trough the same thing .
Lets hope all our kids get better soon

A desperate google search hearing my son again go into hysterical coughing got me to this site. I am looking for something long term for my son. Something that will build his lungs. Does anyone know of the right diet for such cases. Of course waiting for spring and for the sun to be out so that he can run and expand his lungs.
FYI. just read that Vicks Rub could do more harm and can actually build mucus in the air passage for babies and toddler. ( chk the net)

My son is 2 1/2 years old. He's having the same problem. He will start coughing at 3am-4am almost every night. During the day, he is fine. The doctor suspect asthma. He tried singular but it doesn't help. I had even tried to change bedsheet every week. No soft toys. But it doesn't help either.

My son had mild acid refulx & allergies to his hand me down mattress and did the same as yours. We invested money into a good mattress for him and got him on reflux meds and he's just fine now. I hope this helps.

Hi:
Singular, singular, singular. I have a 23 year old son who has had asthma since well before singular came along. It came along when he was a teenager and it was like a magic pill. Babies get the other liquid meds first, then the inhaler. Few people use inhalers effectively, mostly kids. You son is really suffering, as you probably know. The eye problem is probably a combination of not sleeping as well as allergies. If you pediatrician is not on top of the situation, get another one. Better yet, go to a thoracic doctor who specializes in the repiratory system, right away. Another suggestion is to find a way for the baby to sleep on his/her back propped up. It's very difficult for asthmatics and people with respiratory problems to breath when they are lying down flat. This may help at night. Be careful with pillows however, because of the smothering danger. There are solutions for this problem. Your baby shouldn't have to suffer one more day. Check out the other posts. One of them talks about the peace that came when their baby finally got some singular. Another consideration is that as long as the babies air exchange is not clear, the level of oxygen in the babies blood can get too low. This means that body organs, including the brain, are not getting enough oxygen....Enough said......Let us know how it goes for you.

Just read a few posts, but have you seriously considered environmental factors like: smog, parental smoking, elevation, and cleanliness of home, daycare or nursery school? What about just adding a humidifier without a drug? What about making sure over stimulation or stress isn't the problem manifesting itself at night? Children handle stress much different than adults. People too easily turn to drugs and doctors when they can handle things themselves. Do what your child needs you to do!!!

Its so sad to hear abt all the kids...
I have 3 year old twins n believe me the day they started preschool they have been coughing day n night.Nights are terrible.I m goign crazy with both of them coughing.Its been 9 months.tried all docs all medicines lots of antibiotics but they r ok for a week n then again coughing.Plz help me.some say asthma,soem allergies.tried ventolin,not very presistant in singular but i think ill try that also.need a desperate n quick solution:(