Hi, I would like if you could clarify some things for me. I took my son to see a doctor because he fell and cut his lip. After he took care of the wound the doctor asked me a bunch of questions about my child's behavior. Then he told me that I might consider taking my son to a psychologist because he thinks that my son has a behavior disorder. I know that my son is hyperactive, but I always thought that all five year olds are impulsive and full of energy. The doctor said he suspects that it may be a disorder called ADHD. Could children at the age of five really suffer from behavior disorders?

Hi, I have to say that attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder or ADHD is usually diagnosed in children younger than seven. I believe that your son may show some of the symptoms of this disorder that made the doctor suspicious. There are few pointers that suggest that your child suffers from ADHD. Have you noticed if your child has trouble paying attention even when you are addressing him directly? Does he often lose his toys? When you give him a task that requires certain mental effort does he try to avoid it? These are all signs of attention deficit. It is true that five year olds are hyperactive, but not all of the time. If your son has trouble sitting calmly when this is expected, if he is inpatient and can't wait his turn to join the game or if he talks excessively it means that he might have hyperactivity disorder. There are few theories about the causes of ADHD. Scientists have discovered that some parts of the brain of the person affected with this behavior disorder are not functioning properly. They also believe that ADHD is hereditary. You should listen to your son's doctor and take him to see a psychologist. Even if he confirms the diagnosis there are several counseling methods that can help your son overcome his problem.