My son is 16 years old and diagnosed with asthma few years ago. Since he got new doctor, he was thinking it is time to change his therapy. That is why he changed his previous medicine to Singulair. I wonder if that is safe for my son, since he is not adult yet. Can you tell me something about Singulair because I want to know that?

Singulair is taken to prevent and treat asthma, which is purpose your doctor prescribed him this drug. The oral tablets are for asthma patients age 15 years and older, so you definitely should not be worried about his age. There are even chewable tablets are for pediatric patients 2 years of age and older. Only important thing I have to tell you he should never take Singulair to relieve an asthma attack. It is not a replacement for the quick help that short acting inhalers provide, which is only needed during an asthma attack. It is very important that he continue taking his other asthma medicines unless your health care provider tells you to stop. As any other medicine, Singulair could also provoke some side effects, which should be reported to the doctor if occurs. Those side effects that your son could have are fever, stomach pain, heartburn, dizziness and headaches. Some patients reported allergic reactions including swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat. If that happens, he has to stop taking Singulair and call the doctor.