momof4 40 minutes ago

My son is 8 1/2 years old. He has been on Singulair for almost 2 years. He weighs 102 lbs but is very active. I try and monitor what he eats and feed all of my 4 children healthy meals with fruits and vegeatbales. They drink lots of water and limited juices or sport drinks. My son is the only one on this medicine and his weight gain over the past 2 years has really been excessive. Just today did I google this topic. I am starting to think this medicine has contributed to the weight gain and will stop giving him this medicine immediately! Although his allergies are seasonal and can be severe, I will continue to use natural products like saline spray to help clear him up somewhat. Ironically, my oldest daughter now 12 also had bad allergies but at that time my pediatrician who retired a few years ago did not believe in giving children any of these medications. He said see if she grows out of it and she did. I started a new doctor who suggested he go on Singulair. As a parent, you want to trust and believe in the people who care for your children. I am curious to see if the weight subsides after I stop the medicine.

I finally took my son off of Singulair after 3-1/2 years of successive weight gain.  Before beginning Singulair at 8 years old, I had to buy him "slim" clothing.  Regular sizes fell right off him.  He was literally in Husky sizes by 9 months later.  At first I didn't relate it to Singulair or any other medicaiton and looked to alternatives like his eating patterns, excersize, etc.  But after watching him struggle with weight issues (he is now 12) and calling himself "fat", on a hunch, I switched him to taking Zyrtec daily almost 2 months ago.  He remains on his Flovent (which is what I would have thought caused the gain).  The results are literally amazing after a month.  He is actually blowing better on his peak flow meter and he has lost much of the "bloat" look in the face and abdomen.  He is down 3 lbs.  I am not against the use of Singulair and I don't recommend anyone taking their children off of it without an alternative asthma plan.  I don't have any concrete research evidence to support that Singulair causes weight gain and I don't know if some kids are predisposed genetically to this or what causes some kids to gain weight and others not to.  My friend's child has been on Singulair just as long and hasn't had any weight problems.  It's strange that without changing any other variables except Singulair that my child now weighs less and has lost any moon face/abdomen he had.  He said he can feel a difference off the Singulair and he feels better.  If you are contemplating any changes in your child's medication, make sure you talk to you doctor as not all children have the same response.  If your doctor is not supportive, find another one who has more of an open mind.  My next step is to reduce the gluten in his diet as I think it will help any lingering asthma but I'm waiting til school is out for summer vacation to begin that journey.      

How many milligrams was he taking?