Hello, guys. My friend has been diagnosed with skin lupus. This has been the first time I have heard about skin form of this disease. I knew that I could affect kidneys and joints. However, skin manifestation is something new for me. I would like to know something more about the effects of this disease on skin. Is it always associated with kidney disease and arthritis? Can anyone help me with this?

Hi. There is only form of lupus that affects skin. It is called discoid lupus. It is represented with sores. They are inflamed. They mostly affect face, ears and scalp. Usually, this form does not have other organs damaged. However, smaller percent of the patients can develop other forms of the disease. On the other hand, skin manifestation can only represent some other forms. Your friend should exclude that his organs are affected.