Hi, I am 34 years old, and I was diagnosed with spasmodic dysphonia. I experience involuntary movements of muscles of the larynx. My voice often breaks, and I can’t finish a sentence. Is there anybody else with the same problem?

Hi, I have the same condition. My voice breaks with no reason. I don’t have to yell, sing or scream to lose my voice. It just happens by itself. I was diagnosed with spasmodic dysphonia, a neurological disorder that is characterized by involuntary movements of one or more muscles of the larynx. There are three types of spasmodic dysphonia, and I have adductor spasmodic dysphonia. Because of the muscle spasms, it is often difficult to start talking, and my words are cut. I have to make an efford to say something, and it is not a pleasant feeling when people stare at you while you are talking. I have to stay calm all the time, because stress is making things much worse.

I also have spasmodic dysphonia that went misdiagnosed for many years. They attributed it to anxiety. I now receive botox injections once every three months and it has been a miracle!!!!!!!!!! If you have not tried this treatment, please do and let me know it it was helpful. It literally saved my life and I would love to hear that it did the same for you.

Alicia

I have the same diagnosis but now I have a new concern. There are evidently some folks that can have spasmotic issues also in other nerve centers. I am having trouble writing now and have to hold my wrist when writing and still have an issue. I am not sure that I agree but I guess I have no other diagnosis. I do have issues with my voice but drastically worse under stress. My voice is more quiverly then the other folks that I have heard. Because I have believed that my problem started with a head injury, I wonder if anyone else had inhalation damage or reason to believe it is caused by a injury rather than viral which is the usual cause?

This scares me.