Hello, folks. My cousin was born with albinism. As far as I understand, it is a genetic disorder and they have a lack of skin pigment called melanin. I know that they have skin problems, but there are also eye problems. I would like to hear something more about eye problems. Thanks.

Hello to you too. Some parts of an eye also have melanin. This is iris, a part of an eye that gives your eyes a color. Since it has lack of melanin, it can’t stop light to penetrate into the eye. People with albinism have nystagmus. It is rapid and involuntary eye movements. They can also have strabismus – inability of the eyes to stay directed at the same point or to move simultaneously. There is also extreme nearsightedness or farsightedness. They show photophobia – sensitivity to the light. I hope I’ve helped with this info.