Other than the usual hot tea/lemon/honey stuff?

I lost my voice from coughing (I've got bronchitis AGAIN how in the HELL do you get bronchitis in June?) and I was supposed to have two interviews this week. Had to reschedule because I have no voice. None. Squat.

I need to get my voice back FAST!!! Any ideas? Magic potions? Spells?

STEAM.

Gargle with salt water.

Steam works, and also try adding bourbon to your honey lemon tea concoction, that has worked well for me too. I lose my voice at least once a year due to bronchitis (beat July!) or a really bad case of seasonal allergies.

Hope you feel better :toobad: and good luck with the interviews! :thumbsup:

Steam is good, but the best thing you can do is DON'T TALK - AT ALL! Don't even try to squeak out a few words. Vocal rest is the best thing you can do.

Gargling may make your throat feel better but it won't necessarily help the laryngitis because it doesn't get down to your larynx (or hopefully it doesn't anyway).

Lots of Ibuprofen for the inflamation may help.

Just be vewy, vewy qwiet. Pawticuwawy because I am hunting wabbits hewe.

I vote bourbon, hold the honey lemon tea. :cheryl:

I have only had this happen to me maybe three times in my life. Not trying to talk at all seemed to be the best remedy for myself.

{{Kristin}}

i thought we nixxed that curse

steam sounds good to me. hope it's better soon.

Thanks, you guys. I'll go home and sit in the bath with a bottle of Jack Daniels, I guess!!

The only even remotely amusing thing about this is that my soon to be ex spinless boss has to try to read my handwriting since I can't talk.

:LOL:
Kristin--hope you feel better soon.

advice:

shut your cake hole yoko.

:D

ps. drink lots of fluids (at least that seems to be the solution to almost anything else...)

-blue

No, no, no, I said Kentucky bourbon! Not that Tennessee whiskey-swill... ;)
might I recommend Maker's Mark or Knob Creek or really, a good night's sleep for that matter!

Laryngitis WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW Laryngitis (LAIR-in-JIE-tis) is an irritation and swelling of the voice box and the area around it. It may cause your voice to change, or you may lose your voice entirely for a short while. The problem is most common in late fall, winter, or early spring. With or without treatment, you should be well in 7 to 14 days. Causes Laryngitis is usually caused by a virus or by bacteria. People who smoke, have allergies, or strain their voices by yelling, talking, or singing may also come down with the problem. Signs/Symptoms The classic symptoms are a hoarse, low voice, and a scratchy throat. You also might lose your voice, develop a sore throat, come down with a fever, feel you have a lump in your throat, or feel very tired. Care Your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic to treat any infection. WHAT YOU SHOULD DO Do not use your voice for several days. Either speak very softly or write notes until you can talk normally. Use a cool-mist humidifier (vaporizer) to increase air moisture and help relieve the tight feeling in your throat. Hot, steamy showers can also help. Do not drink alcohol or smoke until your voice is back to normal. Get plenty of rest. Drink extra fluids, such as water, fruit juice, and tea. At the start of hoarseness DO NOT GARGLE. This is like rubbing your eyes when they are inflamed. Reduce your talking, stay off the phone. Coughing makes hoarseness much worse. Steam is good - boil water, stick out your tongue and breathe the steam. Drink warm liquids - more is better, but not boiling hot. Avoid ice. Papain/ bromelain enzyme tablets such as Clear Ease, dissolved in the mouth between the cheek and gums, are very effective. This is especially useful if the pain follows flying or scuba diving. Clear Ease is a blend of pineapple and papaya enzymes designed especially for sinus and other inflammation. The enzyme activity one million units of bromelain from pineapple and a half million units of papain from papaya. (Be careful of using enzyme tablets which do not list the enzyme activity - you can't be sure if you're getting the right amount.) Hoarseness develops because the cold or sore throat gets to the larynx and causes the vocal cords to swell. It gets worse because we try to speak in spite of the swelling, or if people speak incorrectly. The more relaxed your neck muscles, the less chance for hoarseness. Frequent hoarseness may be caused by tight neck muscles. Make sure your head is not turned when you talk. Speaking from bed may be a factor. I have my singers do an exercise in the shower: with the water directed onto back of the neck, gently turn the neck, as if to see who is standing behind you. Alternate sides and continue for 3 minutes. If performed daily, this will help to keep these muscles relaxed. S99

well my mom lost her voice the same and all she and i could find was hot tea hot beverages soup steam and berely talking try that 8O hope i helped