Hi, my three years old son is diagnosed with spinal menengitis. The doctor said that he needs to stay in the hospital in order to receive necessary treatment. I have no idea how my son caught spinal menengitis. I take good care of him, and besides minor colds, he was never seriously sick. I am very worried about his health. Can you tell me when will my son get better, because the doctors are not saying much?

Hi, you have every right to be worried because spinal meningitis is a very serious condition. Its symptoms can easily be mistaken with flu, so it is a good thing that doctors have made the right diagnosis. You should not blame yourself for your son's condition because there is not much you could have done to prevent this from happening. There are many things that might cause spinal meningitis. In most of the cases, it is a viral or bacterial infection. Depending on the cause, the course of treatment is determined. Also, the prognosis of the outcome is dependent on the type of the infection. Maybe the doctors are reluctant to make prognosis because the results of the necessary analysis have not come in yet. You see, meningitis caused by a viral infection is much milder and the treatment usually considers bed rest and plenty of fluid intake. However, because your son is kept in the hospital, I think that the doctors suspect that a bacterial infection is in question. This is a more serious type of meningitis, but there are a large number of antibiotics that can be used if this is the case. Usually, the treatment with intravenous antibiotic cocktails lasts couple of weeks. Even after that, if your child has bacterial spinal meningitis, long-term follow up is necessary. You should be patient and have faith in your son’s doctors. I am sure that they are doing everything in their power to help your son and that he is going to feel better soon enough.