Hey guys,

So, I've been on Suboxone for about 8-10 months so far. During this last month of being on Suboxone (April) I've noticed a SIGNIFICANT amount of weight gain. I've always been able to eat what I want, when I want, & be okay. But, for some strange reason, I am now gaining a lot of weight. I'm 5'6" & I was at 115 llbs, but in the last month, give or take a few weeks, I've gained weight & am now at 128-130. My self-esteem is SHOT TO HELL. I don't know what to do. The suboxone is working so great for me & my mother & I have agreed that I am doing so good. But, my weight gain has become a SERIOUS problem. My self-esteem is so low, I have thoughts of throwing up everything I eat. I also have been in & out of the doctors office running ultrasounds & biopsies. The latest one I had to deal with was my thyroid, I may have cancer in my thyroid & may need to get it removed. I understand hypothyroidism can cause weight gain also. I just need to advice, stories, success stories, anything that will help me make it through this time. Thanks guys. Hope to hear from a lot of you soon :)

Bay.

Hi ... I searched for suboxone and weight gain topics... I am having the same experience, I have been on suboxone for about 8 months after being in recovery (12 step) for 6 years.  Because of Hep C contracted during my using days I ended up with a dependence to prescribed pain medicine while on triple therapy ( made me very sick ) ... Long story short since my brain doesnt know the difference I decided to replace my pain meds with subs (relapse prevention) ... Since being on it I have gained more than 30 lbs!!! Its rediculous!  I have always been thin, petite and carried a normal weight of around 110 lbs.  My whole life!  Always could eat what I want when I want without weight gain.  I asked the doctor but of course he thinks its because I am getting older and metabolism is slowing down... I dont think so!  Opiates in general including Methadone in the past always make me CRAVE sugar... well this time its out of control!  So Im not so sure that the suboxone directly causes weight gain .. but indirectly because of the sugar cravings.. Its almost as bad as the dependency on subs!  I cant seem to put down the chocolate, cookies, cakes, donuts, cereal, etc... I also have the constipation problem, and feel like that gives me more weight around the middle than I am comfortable with!  Anyway just thought I would post my experience maybe this will help someone else... If I can manage to put down the sugar MAYBE it wouldnt be so bad...

I know exactly how you feel. I've been a healthy 120-125 the last few years and have also been able to eat whatever I want whenever I want, without any consequences. once I started Suboxone I've gained weight exponentially every month even without eating anything close to what I used to! I'm at a loss as well and I'm too upset about How much I've gained to go out anymore. I asked my dr to taper off, but he told me that he doesn't think it's a good idea until I finish my university, aka another 6 yrs for my phd.) yeah right..... I have no idea how to go on like this. I went from being so confident to being afraid to look in the mirror because I feel disgusted when I do. I feel your pain 100%. xo i