I had my gallbladder removed about three years ago and have steadily gained weight even though my diet has stayed virtually the same. Does this surgery aid in the ease of weight gain?

In short, this varies. Some people naturally lose weight after gallbladder surgery. Quite a few people who need gallbladder removal surgery were overweight to start out with, and if they change to a gallbladder removal diet that does not include many fatty or sugar-filled foods after the surgery, they are likely to lose weight. 

Other people find that they only gain weight after gallbladder removal surgery. If they have healthy diets and exercise regularly, the causes may include insulin resistance, inflammation, and simply a changed metabolism. Consulting a dietitian may help in these cases, because certain foods are better after you have your gallbladder removed. Such people may also need medical attention. 

I too have gained weight steadily since my gall bladder removal 13 yrs ago. I have been told it is because the function of the gall bladder is to release enzymes that burn fat and since it was removed that particular function is no more. I have struggled terribly with weight gain, and the only thing I would advise you is to not allow yourself to yo-yo diet. that is try fads and quick fixes...they dont last and make each successive attempt even harder. right now I am 60 lbs overweight and having a hard time getting a handle on it. Now may be the time to revise your diet, as without a gall bladder what used to work for you will no longer work. Good luck, and if you hear of a 'cure' please post.

This is not true. The gallbladder does not release enzymes that burn fat, they store bile from the liver which helps to emulsify fat for easier absorption.

I too have gained weight since the surgery on 10/30/06. I am very petite and always had problems gaining weight...now it seems no matter what I eat, or don't eat or how often my food goes through me, I either gain or don't lose anything...I was told if anything I would lose weight after the surgery which concerned me being as small as I am. I found that odd in knowing what the gallbladders function is and figured it would make you gain weight. I got very little answers after my surgery as what to anticipate and now I am completely lost with the weight & foods making me sick!

I am about to have gallbladder surgery. From what I understand the gallbladder does not "burn" fat, it just stores bile from the liver which breaks fat down during digestion. Since the digestive system no longer has this storage tank after the surgery, if there is more fat than the liver alone can break down the fat will go through the digestion process unprocessed. This is why most people get diarhea (undigested fat makes excrement slick). Also, since the fat is left unprocessed, fewer calories get absorbed into the system which is why they say you may lose weight after the surgery.

That is the medical explaination the way I understand it, and I am usually fairly good with this stuff. However, I have been reading several cases of weight gain after the surgery online though. What I have found upon diggin into them is that there was usually some other problem, typically hormone related. Im not saying this is the case is these instances, but this si just what I have found so far.

For thouse that are wondering if gallbladder surgery causes weight gain.....Maybe you should have your thyroid tested for underactiveness. Sometimes if it's related to an autoimune disorder, they can be related.
Not a nurse, just speaking from experience.

Hi. Check out a website www.optimalhealthsystems.com Read about the Digestion Formula and Fat - Sugar Formula. I have just received my order and started tonight. I will keep you all posted on how it works for me. In the meantime, I have been using Lypo by Enzymedica and Artickoke Extract (w/soy lecithin) by Enzymatic Therapy. That has been working for me as well. Lypo is a Lipase Enzyme Supplement. Research about that. For some reason, you lose lipase enzymes after gallbladder removed and this is also needed to help breakdown fat. The following is from the FAQ on the Optimal Health Systems website about the Fat - Sugar Formula:

Are you familiar with "Cholacol" Bile Salts Do we have an alternative to this?

YES We are very familiar with “Cholacol” and we are not a fan of this product at all. It contains bile salts from a dead cows gall bladder. This is a huge problem. Basically you are taking a product that is putting in an animals bile salts. Two problems; The first problem is that the gall bladder doesn’t release bile salts into the intestines to aid in fat digestion until there is a specific need and when it does release its salts, it does it very specifically to the amount that is needed. If it releases to many salts, their will be a huge increase of Gall stones created and major problems. (this is why they tell you not to use this product if you have had gallstones or are worried about getting them). The other problem is that the salts from a bovines gall bladder are different because of the different diets and digestive systems of a cow.

If you are trying to help a patient that has had their gall bladder removed or one that has a fat digestive issue, then you need to recommend pure plant enzymes that are focused specifically on that issue. OHS has a product called Optimal Fat/Sugar that is created to target this problem. The Lipase enzymes and specific minerals that are needed to break down fats are in this formula in large amounts. There is also some specific fat emulsifiers in the form of fatty acids that help break down undigested fats in the bowel and bloodstream. You will be able to prove the effectiveness of this formula by testing gall bladder function or you can monitor blood lipid profiles. The blood lipid profile will favorably change showing that less bad cholesterol and triglycerides are forming. This will prove that the formula is being effective at digesting the bad fats.

I hope that this helps!
Karen :D

I agree with this comment. I had the surgery exactly a 3 months ago today, and my weight has been on a steady decrease. I have noticed that when I do eat fatty foods, i suffer from diarreha. My doctor told me that this is normal. Therefore, i eat healthy to try to gain the nutrients i need. I also try to eat foods that are easy to digest. I'm filling up on veggies and trying not to eat red meats which are hard to digest.

BEFORE I HAD MY GULL BLADDER REMOVED I HAD 2 KIDS AND STILL WEIGHED ABOUT 110 - 115 LBS (25 YEARS ) ALL MY LIFE EVEN AFTER KIDS NOW (28)) I AM AT 165 AND JUST GAINING NONE OF MY HABBITS CHANGED I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND STILL JUST GAINING IF ANY ONE KNOWS WHAT TO DO PLEASE HELP I NO LONGER HAVE INSURANCE BUT BEING SO OVER WEIGHT AT 5'2 IS GETTING PAINFULL ANY INFO PLEASE POST AND HELP ME !!!!

Ask your doctor to do a blood test in regards to your thyroid. If thyroid is normal then ask your doctor what else can be done to stop the weight gain and hopefully reverse it. Also, you mentioned that none of your habits changed. That could be one of the reasons your gaining the weight?? Maybe try changing your diet to more veggies and less fatty types of foods.

I'm about to have my gall bladder removed and you fit the same category I do weight wise at 115 lbs. before the weight gain. However, in my case since my gall bladder test of the Hydra Scan came back at 0% and my gall bladder has not been working for a while now I think my 12 pounds I've put on is related to my gall bladder. I eat good, excersice and never have eaten fatty type of foods, very little meat mostly chicken or turkey in my diet. It will be interesting to see if I loose weight after my surgery or keep gaining.

Anyhow, I did a little reasearch in preparation of what's to come. Here is what I've found out so far in the aid of helping people with out gall bladder. OHS/optimal Fat/Sugar created to target the problem of breaking down fat that the body does not process. Also, Fat Emulsifiers (Fatty Acids) help break down undigested fats in the bowel & blood stream.

I am also considering a good overall body cleansing product and I have found this company on the Internet. http://www.blessedherbs.com/bh/?s_hsplt=1 They seem to have a lot of knowledge about body cleansing so you can feel free to ask them any questions you have. Let them know you had your gall bladder removed and you are also looking for enzime type products to help you diegest and process food better. Everyone has their own believes so if you're not big on natural remedies do a reasearch on other probable products that may be able to help you. You can also go to a local Health Food/Herbs store and see if they can help you. Make sure that when you take vitamins, minerals they are easily soluble or it will just go right through you like most other things you put in your mouth.

When I have the problem of something I ate turns in to diarreah, if the diarreah and stomach pains last a while I will take some Liquid Bentadine. It stops the stomach aches and the dirreah right away!! A friend that owns a health food store recommended it to me as it also helps in the aid of getting rid of body toxins that get trapped in my system. Milk Thistle also aids in promoting liver health and aids in removing toxins from your liver. Make sure you read all the ingredients before taking anything in case you're allergic to one or more of the ingredients. Like wise, if nursing, lactating or having surgery consult with your doctor about any or all medications or natural supplements you take.

I'm not an expert and results will vary per person. All information I gathered was given to me by doctors, health knowledgeble consultants and my own reasearch.

I wish you luck and you're not alone!

I too had gall bladder surgery and have experience unexplained weight gain. I am exercising more than I ever have in my life and I follow a healthy diet. I have had numerous blood tests done including thyroid panels and nothing had come up. It is very frustrating! I had done weight watchers in the past just to drop a few as I was never overweight and never had a problem losing weight. I find now that even when I eat normal as in 3 healthy meals a day along with exercise I still gain weight. I am sooo upset that I had this surgery as it has changed my body forever. :-(

I too am facing gallbladder surgery and am wondering how you are doing now? My hyda scan came back at 21% function with no stones so my hope is that I can avoid surgery by changing my lifestyle. I have eliminated all saturated and trans fat from my diet and also eating lots of fruit & veggies, no meat, dairy, or pork. I have lost about 17lbs. in less than three weeks by doing this. For the past week or so I have also been taking beet juice tablets and mullzyne supplements to aid in digestion. This seems to be helping. You can check out www.gallbladderattack.com to see their line of supplements for pre & post gallbladder surgery help. I would love to hear from anybody who has been able to keep their gallbladder by changing diet & adding supplements. I really don't want to lose my gallbladder if at all possible.

From first hand experience, it CAN make a person gain weight. As soon as my gallbladder stopped working, my body gained a lot of weight especially in my stomach. I had the gallbladder taken out and I still have the issue of weight but not as bad. As far as people claiming this causes diahrea, I never had it after surgery. In fact, I was more constipated at times. So therefore I did not lose any weight. To keep my weight the same, I can't have a lot of calories. I eat a snack for breakfast and lunch instead of a meal because that's all my body can handle. I don't lose weight, but I don't gain any if I do that. I believe that a dysfunctional gallbladder can change the way your body digests food. Sometimes the digestion process will be slower or faster depending on the person, which does affect weight. JP

ME too! I had gallbladder surgery 7 years ago (I was 24 at the time) and was okay the first 60 days but then no matter how much excercising I did I would still gain weight. I went from 125 lbs to almost 200lbs and being on a 1500 calorie diet while working out 5 days a week I can still only lose maybe 1 lb a week if that. Its extremely frustrating and its not my thyroid! Has anyone tried a pill that helps break down the enzymes?

So Frustrated.