I have been on Metahadone for the last 2 years and have gained 35 pounds and growing. I have tried 3 different diets even starving and the pounds dont budge. Im usually 130 to 140 and now Ive hit 175! I have decided to try Suboxone .Does anyone know if Suboxone will cause weightgain too?

Maybe your dose is a bit too high.
I have been on and off methadone for the past 20 years. Most of the people I see gaining are on high doses.

i've been on suboxone for six months and i have gained a few pounds but i don't think it's from the suboxone..

i know that to go on suboxone you have to not take any opiates , im assuming including methadone.. for 3 or 4 days MINIMUM until you start to take suboxone because it will react very badly with it and cause you to go through the worst withdrawls ever. and when i say ever i mean EVER. like anything youve ever gone through times ten. i wanted to go on suboxone before i went on methadone but my doctor told me that and i decided against it. he told me that most people dont really take those 3 days off of drugs and pretend they have, so when they go most people contemplate suicide. but if you want to do it its your choice, and there are lots of positive aspects to suboxone. if you can go through those 4 days without anything though id just go through more so you dont need anything. as for not gaining weight i think it would be just the same. some people i know dont even gain any weight at all. im on methadone and i was the exact same weight when i started as you were and now im the exact weight as you are now. im at 90 mg and im starting to taper off soon. ive been researching alot and everyone says that when you taper down you will start to loose weight ,so that is a good idea. but i feel your pain my friend, ive tried everything to loose weight and still nothing is cutting it. i hope you find a good solution and if you do, share it with the world. starting with me. i hope ive helped at least a little.

I think that what you posted was helpful so thank you for your insight. Have you been on it before? It sounds like you are very knowledgable.

I have been on suboxone for years now and do not seem to have any weight control issues. I think methadone is known more for weight gain issues. Congrats on deciding to switch to suboxone. I think suboxone is the far better way to go. It is not considered a 6 year program, like methadone. Also, you block your opiate receptors so you can not get high off drugs at all. Plus, it does not make you as loopy as methadone. I think switching to suboxone would be your very best bet and I bet you lose the weight you have gained from methadone fairly quickly. Good luck.

I was on methadone for over a year and I gained 60lbs Ouch... When I switched to suboxone 7months ago I noticed a difference right away. To begin with It doesn't bloat you like a balloon. Methadone causes a lot of water retention. The first couple months I dropped 10lbs with no real effort, thanx to the fact that I wasn't tired all the time and no longer needed a afternoon nap, I became motivated again and began working out. I have lost all the weight I gained in a short amount of time 4 months and I am back down to 125 so I can say with great confidence suboxone does not slow down your metabolism and compared to methadone it is like a diet pill. 8-|

That guy is not kidding one bit. If ya do soboxone too soon prior to taking methadone the withdrawals are horendous to say the least. It's way too hard to explain what I went through even after being clean off of the methadone for a week I tried the soboxone and got the same effect of severe withdrawals. It was the most scary thing I have ever went through on my life. I really thought I was going to die. That may be because I was on such a high dose of 100mg a day.

While it is true that the withdrawls are horrendous if you tae suboxone without being in withdrawl, it is not necessarily that you have to wait 3 or 4 days, let alone one day! My boyfriend and I were on about 160 mg of oxycontin a day and only waited 12 hours before we started suboxone. The doctot said you only need mild witbdrawl, as long as you have those withdrawl symptoms. Both of us started our first dose of suboxone after 12 hours of our last dose of oxy, and we felt amazing and did not get sick. I know many want you to be cautious and you should be, but you know your body and if you are feeling withdrawl symtoms then you should be able to take suboxone without a problem.

Wow. I know this is old but this post annoyed me. 100mg of methadone a day and u tried to switch to sub? u have to be on at least 30mg and switch but wait a few days i waited 56hrs and took sub and I was fine. And oxycontin is a whole other ball game. Its not like methadone.. methadone lasts in your system longer so u have to wait at least 48hrs. Oxycontin isn't **** compared to methadone. METHADONE IS HARDER TO GET OFF OF THAN HEROIN, OXYS, VICS u name it. But IT CAN BE DONE. >;)

Im not sure if anyone is reading this anymore as the date is fairly old (original) but hopefully I can help someone. I too had so much trouble struggling with weight gain on methadone. So much so that I got off it too fast and relapsed into my old bad habits. I got so depressed at being 5'2 and weighing 170. I am typically no more than 120 pounds. I looked swollen and I tried everything ...all the fad diets you can think of... working out twice a day everyday.... not eating....eating all good....you name it i tried it. I had to go back on the methadone and again I gained all the weight. 7 days ago I weighed 172 pounds. This morning I weighed in at 157, and counting . How????? The HCG diet. I don't want to type it all in if nobody is reading this but I know I researched for 2 years and NOBODY ever found a way to lose. I'm telling you this works and works fast so if anybody wants my help feel free to post. :-D

I am so excited. I just read your post. i have gained like 40 lbs since I have been methodone. I am switcing to suboxone because i heard that you feel so much better on it. I can't wait till i can lose weight. YAY!!

Mymichelle~ I have been on methdone for not quite 2 years and have gained 35lbs and I cannot get it off! I have asked my doctors, counselors, and the nurses and they all insist that it is not the metadone that makes you gain weight~ that its because your clean and eating right...blah blah fn blah! That is BULL S***! I was clean on suboxone for 4 years and never weighed this much or even close. It is the methadone! I have also tried so many different ways to lose this weight and it wont budge! Please tell me what you did, please! Email me: ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use
. I would really appreciate it!

Hi I have been on the methadone programme for some time. i have came off twice in the past. like you my weight increases on the methadone. When i have reduced the weight started dropping down at 30mg or 6mils. I got down to my normal weight by the time i reduced to a nil dose. It just seems when ever i go onto methadone above the 8mil 40mg mark i put on the weight.

my brother is on something.hes always had a bit of a small body but he seems to be getting smaller everytime i see him, hes just skin and bones. he has a friend that he moved in with and i take it his friend is on suboxone, im unsure about the effects but i though they most likely made you gain more then loose. i believe my brother is now on something to and i would like to know what it is. ive had some experience with drugs and most of my family are addicts but i still dont know much.
so what is it most likely making him so little? Quote: