Hello, folks. My cousin has been diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia (AML). I know that prognosis here is very serious. I would like to find out the survival rate in AML when treated with cytarabin. Does anyone know something more to tell me? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. When it comes to survival rate, usually we are talking about 5-year survival rate. It is the percentage of the people who survive the period of 5 years. It is applied to a large group of people. It cannot predict what will happen to a particular patient. Many factors have influence on it. Patient’s age, general health and white blood cells count are just some of them. It is important how AML responds to an initial treatment. I have read somewhere that cytarabine can be used with mitoxantrone. In that case, 2-year survival rate is 24%. You should consult an expert for more details.