I'm 29 year old male, 5'11 and 160lbs. I am not as physically fit as I used to be but I still swim and play basketball weekly. My diet consist of fatty foods and I hardly drink beer but when I do it's binge drinking, around 5-6 beers about once or twice a month. I went to ER complaining of stools without any pain at all, so they ran stool test, blood work and ct scan and everything was fine but my lipase levels were EXTREMELY elevated at 1700. They admitted me to hospital for a few days and I responded well to clear liguid diet the first day, I was retested and my lipase next morning was at 1050, still high but a significant reduction. I have no abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting. So I told nurses, doc, and GI doc that I feel great. They put me on low fat diet in the hospital and my lipase jumped to 1130 the next morning. I was shocked and was upset that the lipase was not going down. All my lipids, liver panels and cbc were normal.

GI doc  said he's certain it was acute pancreatitis. He then ordered a 2nd CT scan this time with oral and IV contrast and once again, it was clear with no swelling of pancrease. He sent me home only telling me to lay off alcholol and see him in 2 weeks.

This still left me with many unanswered questons. Maybe you guys can help me out.

1. The only abdominal pain I ever received was after drinking moster enegry drinks, milk and ice coffee drinks. Could moderate used of these drinks cause pancreatitis. Pain only lasted for less than a few minutes, I never had pain that persisted for hours.

2. How can a doctor tell if it's acute or chronic pancreatitis? Can you have multiple acute attacks or is more than one attack considered chronic?

3. What is the survival rate and life span with this condition if treated proberly ie low fat diet, exercise and abstain from alcohol?

4. Does chronic marijuana use contribute to pancreatitis, becuase I smoke lots and lots of marijuana?

Thanks

Did they run an MRI or MRCP?

I have been told that caffiene can trigger or make pancreatitis worse.

It is my understanding that the diagnoses between acute and chronic takes time because it is based on the reoccuring attacks and damage to the pancreatis.

Good luck... I know this can be scary.

would like to discuss this topic on living with pancreatitis on facebook

I'm the OP that posted this and final cause was from celiac disease. I've been on glutten free diet and my normals have been normal.

GI wanted to do colonscopy first and run extensive blood test before doing ERCP or MRCP. So i was dx with celiac disease, i had classic symptoms for years:

I suddenly became lactose intolerant and could no longer handle milk. I would get bloated, gassy, loose stools, etc.. 

Ive been on glutten diet and my lipase numbers never reach above 45!! So crazy high lipase is not always pancreatitis. My GI doc never thought so to begin with but wanted to clear my head.

My husband died from this disease at age 42 due to heavy drinking. A horrible awful death. Feeding tubes. Diapers. Catheters. Gallons of blood being pumped out of his stomach every day. Hallucinations. It was painful gruesome and humiliating. It is not something to fool with. You might survive one attack but if you keep drinking the next attack could be like this. He left behind two small kids aged six and three. I don't think any situation where I would want to take a drink would be worth the risk of a death like this. He got sick the day after New Years and was dead ten days later. It's not worth it. Especially to those of us left behind.

How much did he drink?

I am going to see a GI myself, lipase around 500 first time I was tested, which was because I use a diabetes medication called Victoza which can cause pancreatitis. Laid off the Victoza and it was 250 next time tested. Went on a new drug named Invokana with no know side effects because it is so new. Up to 500 again, so going to see a GI. I have to assume it has been high for a long time. I have never had any of the systems indicated at all. Found a blog on it and it's not unheard of, some diagnosis something like CHUD which indicates high lipase with no pancreatitic symptoms. Since your posting is a long while ago I am curious if you see this how you have faired since.

I was taking victoza for 6 weeks. No stomach pain but constant vomiting and over all feeling of lethargy. Lost 22 lbs in 3 weeks. My lipase was 1375. 2 Days after stopping down to 395. 4 weeks later I had a CTScan and told my pancreas is mildly dilated. Told now they want to do a MRI.