Hi, guys. My mother constantly claims that she is ill. She says that she has pain, but somehow she doesn’t look sick. She showed me some laboratory test results and I’ve noticed that someone changed them. My friend told me something about Munchausen syndrome and I would like to know what its symptoms are.

Hi, there. Munchausen syndrome is not the same as hypochondria. In hypochondria a person truly believes he/she is sick. A person who suffers from Munchausen syndrome deliberately makes up symptoms. She has dramatic stories about various medical problems. Her symptoms are vague and inconsistent. She is usually eager to risky operations. She opposes doctors to talk to family members. She often asks for pain relievers and other medications. This person can even self-inflict or rig examination results. In any case, your mother should talk to a psychiatrist. I hope everything will be all right.