This post is an extension of the

Gallbladder symptoms but all tests are negative thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I too have had the same symptoms for 5 months now. I'm so frusterated and don"t know what to do at this point. I've had all the blood work, colonoscopy/endoscopy, CT, Ultrasound, Hida-Scan, and most recently attempted an upper GI with small bowel follow-thru, but only made it thru the first part, the upper GI due to inability to keep the barium down. I just couldn't stop vomiting. The surgeon I saw, one time, looked at my test results- all negative of course, and said "I don't know what to tell you" Not exactly what you want to hear from a doctor, especially it being the third time I've heard it. I've been sick for 5 months. I've lost over 30 pounds. Constant nausea, alot of vomiting, pain upper right under ribs and also mid center below sternum. Often radiates to back in between shoulder blades. Alot of gas pain if I decide to risk eating, burping which is abnormal for me, and just exhausted all the time. It all started with the hiccups for 10 days straight. I have an extensive surgical hx including a total abdominal hysterectomy, partial omentectomy, extensive adhesiolysis, and other surgeries involving cysts prior to hysterectomy. I know chronic pain, and this pain I'm experiencing is different. I know its my gallbladder. The symptoms are too similar. Its just not right for me. My body is not functioning as it usually does. How do I get through to the docs? I feel so unimportant to all of them, and judged because of my history. This is not a chronic problem, I know the difference. So, I've been waiting for the surgeon to call, after leaving a few messages. My first appointment was a nightmare. Waited 2 hours just to see him due to emergencies-one ironically being my nephew with an appendicitis. He didn't even do an exam on me...just looked at the negative hida-scan results, and others tests that have been negative, and said that he would order an upper GI with small bowel follow-thru to rule out Crohn's disease and diverticulitis. Apparently this test looks at the first 20 feet of the small intestine. The colonoscopy looks at the lower part. But, I was unable to complete it. And, I now have a new symptoms, very scary. For a few weeks my mouth, tongue and throat have been very sore. Like I drank really hot cup of hot chocolate and burned my tongue. I even lost my voice. A few days ago, while carefully brushing my teeth, I noticed my teeth are turning black. Every one of them, along the gumline. Like my teeth are rotting. I've made an appointment with my dentist of course. But again with my luck, he's difficult to get into quickly. Even with my panicked phone call....still have to wait. They are extremely sensative. I'm wondering if the bile/acid that I vomit up is destroying my teeth and burning my mouth and tongue. I also question the possibility of acid coming up my throat, because it feels like something is creeping up my throat often. Tonight, I feel like something is stuck in my throat, and I haven't even eaten a thing today. I don't understand why all of my symptoms aren't enough of a reason to do something for me. I'm at the end of my rope. I can't handle much more. What else do I have to say to get them to listen to me. I know whats wrong. Just like all the other people posting the same situation. We know our bodies, but have to play the insurance games, and doctor office games, and wait and wait for results of test...always waiting. I need an answer, or solution. I'm losing my teeth. I've been on medical leave, took medical leave because I thought for sure someone would find something- my symptoms have been so severe, how could they not? But, test after test has been negative. Help.

Well I am still ongoing. Had morning where my left arm went weak and felt sore with little strength, not a good wake up when I also had to go because i had the runs. Everytime I eat I go through discomfort, drink or eat. Starts with discomfort, pain in the eyes edgyness. Now i have a constant discomfort on my side at the ribs. Nausea now is my companion, but no throw ups. Nice circles under my eyes and when I drink or eat I feel tired. i also have pain and discomfort where my appendix was, did they take it out? Well have the runs again, but have to eat so I get exhausted constantly but I just keep going to the best I can. I know something is wrong and have normal ct and ultrasound all bloodwork normal too. Now I know the first thing on monday is the doc will want to do a clonoscopy, well before he/she does that I am stating prove to me it is not my gallbladder. I have no reason after all the research I have done that it can be anything else. Majority of my symptoms goes in that direction. I may not have stones, but have learned that even though the GB can look normal, it just stops doing it job effectively and the problems occur.

Well I hope to have it resolve soon. When I fixed the constipation problem a lot of my abdominal pains left. But still a hurtin in the upper torso. The dizzy feeling sucks. And the exhausted feeling sucks. So far everything negative. But what sucks now is that I get irritable feeling after a little bit after drinking and eating.

Well keep you updated.

Well, still alive, still in pain, still nauseated all the time, still vomiting sometimes (thankfully not constantly as it was a month ago). The pain is located just below my sternum-thats pretty much constant, and under my ribs on right side. It radiates around my right side, to my back-sometimes between my shoulder blades. I have heartburn (never have in my life since this), and gas pains. If I decide to eat a 'normal' meal, I'm in so much pain that I'm bent over, with a heating pad, praying like I never have to please let it go away! The first surgeon I saw, never called me back after being unable to complete an upper GI w/small bowel follow-thru, couldn't keep the barium down. So I went to another surgeon, who told me to go see a GYN, and if he doesn't want to do the surgery (thinking its endometriosis) then he will do an exploratory scope. Great-so I think I finally see a light at the end of the tunnel, and go to the GYN. He does a pelvic exam, thats it. No pushing or poking the belly, then tells me to get dressed, and he will be back in to talk to me. Instead of him coming back, I get his nurse saying how sorry she is, that he had an emergency (just my luck, first surgeon I saw did the same thing). So the GYN calls me the next day- says he doesn't feel comfortable going in because I have so many adhesions from previous surgeries, that he probably wouldn't even be able to see the endometriosis. Okay, so I go back to the surgeon that sent me to see the GYN. He asks me, "what did the GYN say?" Huh? Don't you doctors talk to one another??! I tell him what the GYN said on the phone. He then tells me the GYN told him NOT to do the surgery....? HUH? So why did the doctor tell me different? After the GYN said no to doing surgery, I asked his opinion, "do you think an exploratory scope procedure is appropriate then?" He says yes, he agrees that its totally appropriate to at least go in and look-since my pain is above and NOT in my pelvis.
Then the general surgeon says no, he doesn't feel comfortable going in-all tests are negative, everything looks normal. SO WHAT! I'm in pain, constant pain. Nauseated, vomiting so much my teeth are stained from the bile/acid. I've lost 45 lbs in 4 months and your telling me your not going to go in and look? So then he says, okay, I will do an exploratory, but I won't find anything. I say okay. Fine, I won't blame you if you don't. But please go in and look, at least, because I know my body-and something is NOT right. He asks me who my primary doc is, then leaves to go 'discuss' with him. 10 minutes later comes back with a positive no. Everything is normal. Not going to do the surgery. MY GOD. Back and forth. Back and forth-make up your mind!!! The c**p I've been put through is ridiculous. Healthcare in this country, especially in small towns (i think) is so messed up. This is not in my head. There is no way what I'm feeling, and whats happening to my body can be in my head. I've tried everything I know to try on my own, and with the meds doctors prescribe (of course insurance doesn't want to cover the majority of what is prescribed).
The last think I heard from the surgeon's mouth was "we want to treat this medically." HUH? What have we been doing for 6 months? Whats with all these meds I've been on, tried, hasn't worked? Whats that called? You suddenly have a solution...? So what is it. Cuz I'm at the end of my rope. Then I walked out...and yelled down the hallway, all the way out the door. That is NOT ME. I don't act like that. But I've had it. I'm so tired of being uncomfortable 24/7 and no one seems to give a c**p. My family is now thinking this is all in my head...and I started to think it. I just don't think its possible. I'm so sick...and I'm lost. I don't know what to do. Really need help. Really need a GOOD doctor, that will LISTEN to me, that will LOOK at my history. HELP.

Have you got any answers yet? Ive had the same symptoms for 6yrs?

Oh my goodness. I am reading these postings and crying. My 15 yr old daughter has been having all these same symptoms for 2 months. We are in the process of seeing a children's gi. She has had all the tests - endoscopy, colonoscopy, capsule endoscopy, barium ultrasound, CT, spinal tap, HIDA Scan. All her tests were normal. Everyone says it's in her head. We do think it is her gallbladder as well. My husbands family has history of gallbladder problems. I don't want to wait years and years for my daughter to feel better. At least reading these posts, I know there is help out there. We just have to find it.

My story sounds a lot like the others. Been having abdominal and back pain for over 2 months now. Have had blood tests, ultrasounds, CT scan, HIDA scan, and an EGD done. All comes back negative. I talked with a surgeon, and he is confident that my problem is my gall bladder despite all of the negative results. My surgery is on Nov. 5th, 2009. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is it. Can't rely on taking Darvocet for the rest of my life for pain, especially since it doesn't work 100%. Seems like there are WAY too many people with negative results related to the gall bladder, when it is indeed the problem. You'd think there would be a more effective test when all of these fail. One of the main reasons that my surgeon is convinced it's my gall bladder is because when I had my HIDA scan done it intensified my pain at the moment that they were simulating a gall bladder attack. PLEASE LET THIS SURGERY BE IT! I will keep you all posted...........

Just wondering how you made out? I had my HIDA scan today and like yours the moment they injected the drug to make the gallbladder contract the pain started and radiated throughout my abdomen and under my rib cage. The technologist said the gallbladder contracted properly but he thought it was vey strange that at the exact moment they injected the drug I got the severe pain.

Now I have to wait until the specialist looks at it and was told it could take a couple of weeks.

I have been having horrible pain in on my right side for a few weeks now. The pain is in the RUQ and radiates around to my back under my right shoulder blade. I had an ultrasound(normal), an upper endoscopy (normal except for gastritis) and a HIDA scan (normal). I go see the doctor again tomorrow b/c I can't stand the pain anymore. I have all the "classic" gallbladder symptoms but the dr said that b/c the tests are normal my gallbladder can't be the problem. I feel really bad when I eat or drink anything and feel just as bad when I don't eat. I get really bad gas, my stomach gets hard after I eat like I'm not digesting my food and I have really bad pain on my right side and my under my right shoulder blade and I have diahrea. When I had my HIDA scan the stuff they made me drink for the EF part of the test made me really nauseas, my stomach got hard and I ended up in the bathroom with diahrea. The tech performing the test said he thought my gallbladder was in fact the problem.

I am at my wits end at this point. All my tests are normal but I am still in lots of pain. I don't know what to do. I have decided to tell my dr tomorrow that I just want to have my gallbladder out as I truly believe it is the problem.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, it's good to see I'm not alone, but sad to see so many people suffering from the same symptoms. I wonder why our tests are all negative and so-called "normal" when we are not feeling "normal" at all. I'm at the stage of seeing the GI doc. Who knows if this will even be a step in the right direction! Good luck everyone.

It may not be gallbladder as I found out and it was an interesting find after many tests and such it was an MRI that found the problem

Thank you everyone who has posted their problems. I'm like all of you! I've had a CT, Hida Scan, Upper GI, MRCP (MRI), and colonoscopy - all negative! However, I feel horrible. I have severe upper right side abdomal pain, gas, bulging, grey bowel movements and feel tired. When I had my Hidascan - as soon as they put the second injection in to make my gallbladder work - I felt horrible, even the tech said - "wow...you look horrible, you have no color, you are white, you look like you're in pain". My answer was - yes and for the rest of the day, I had diahirrea all day long. I've stopped eatting food that has any fat in it, that helps but doesn't take all the pain away. I'm afraid to eat anything if I have to leave my house- I don't want the pain or the need for a bathroom. I best part is my GI specialist said "sorry, we can't find anything wrong, I don't know what to tell you". Thanks...$400 in co-pays later and no one can help me. I can't bend over without feeling like someone is stabling me under my ribs (right side only). I'm frustrated beyond belief. I want my life back!!! I want to be able to ride my bicycle....
I've lost over 15 pounds in 3 weeks - great diet plan if the pain wasn't so bad!!!
If anyone gets helps, please post so we can all read.
My question is this.....can it still be a gallbladder problem even if the test are negative. My personal opinion is ...YES!!!!!

What did you find out then?

I have been going through the same pain for the past few months. Pain stays in my right side from my sternum all around under my arm to my shoulder blades. I have been to the emergency room many times with no diagnosis. I have changed physicians 5 times and my current one agreed that my gallbladder could be the cause of my pain, eventhough my ultrasound was normal. The CT scan done in the ER showed my gallbladder was contracted and small so my doctor referred me to a GI doctor. Left that appointment back at square one. He said he wasn't my gallbladder that I had IBS, but that the pain in my back and right side was not related to the IBS. I have had IBS for years and I know what the pain feels like. The pain that I have been having since December of last year is NOT IBS. I am concerned that doctors will do to me what they did to my mother when she too was faced with gallbladder pain. They brushed her off and told her it was nothing because her tests came back normal, until she ended up in the hospital in severe pain and was lucky enough to find a doctor that believed her. He ran a HIDA scan and said her gallbladder wasn't squeezing properly. They removed it immediately and found it completely full of stones (mind you, these did not show on the ultrasound). She no longer has the pains but she lived with the pain for a couple of years because of doctors who don't care to listen. Just because a test may say something is normal, doesn't mean it is. Now I have to determine, do I continue to push the doctors or just give up and live in pain like my mom did until it lands me in the hospital? Last time I waited to go to the hospital, I ended up admitted for a pulmonary embolism. The ER doc told me was heart palpitations were just from drinking too much caffeine. Until he did the CT scan and found the blood clot in my right lung. Don't let a doctor tell you what you feel. You are the only one who knows how bad you hurt or where you hurt. Your body gives you warning signs that you need to listen to, and to make your doctor listen to. If they won't, there is always someone to complain to.

I love u guys. I have been doing almost everything everyone has posted for a year and half now. I have had all the test done and redone. I am negative in all my tests. The surgen didn't want to do because all my test results are negative. I have been told over and over again that surgeons are bad about not doing surgery unless they have a postive. I say the same thing about docs " listen to ur patience" I hate docs who don't listen. The best thing I have done so far is to make my doc send me to a gastro-specialist. I have a appoint. with the new surgeon in a few weeks seems I was rude to the other surgeons staff because they told me that those tests would show a postive if there was really something wrong. I hit the roof and yes I was rude. I even called that surgeon a t**d lol. I am at wits end here !! I throw up so bad I have to lean on walls and my kids have to walk me to be. Now if he and staff would like to hold my head while I'm throwing up then maybe I wouldnt be so rude. I am not being nice about this anymore. I have had enough. I'm not really eating anything now. I deal with all this gallbladder fun daily if it's not on end it's the other. What I have learned from this just because u got M.D. behind ur name doesn't make u God and for that matter right. I will ask questions and do lots of research. #1 thing for me now is ask the doc WHY AND HOW COME :-) and even research the answers he has given me. The net is a wonderful thing :-)