Hello, folks. My friend has some troubles at home. It seems that his mother has Munchausen syndrome. He tried to explain me what it is, but I didn’t quite understand him. I was hoping to find some answers here, so I would like to ask you what Munchausen syndrome is. Thanks.

Hello. Munchausen syndrome belongs to serious mental disorders. It belongs to factitious disorders. A person pretends that he/she is sick or deliberately causes disease or injury. All this is done in order to fulfill some “deep emotional needs” as some experts say. They can make up symptoms or even rig laboratory test results. They don’t want to achieve financial benefit. This syndrome is known for a long time, but there are still a lot of uncertainties. It is difficult for treatment. Your friend should try to take his mother to a psychiatrist if he hasn’t already done that.

Can you tell me whether Mauchensen is Genetic? Can it be passed down to like the mothers children?