Hey guys. I was talking with my niece today and she told me that she needs to confess something to me. She told me that she thinks that she is having postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. I asked her why she think so and she told me that she is feeling different and that she is feeling nausea after heart beats that are different than usual. I told her to tell this to her parents and to visit the doctor but she told me that she is scared and she wants only me to help her.

This is a big responsibility. I will take her to the doctor but can you first tell me what are signs and symptoms of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome? Tnx.

Hi Ashley,

The symptoms are a rapid increase in heart rate, more than 40 beats per minute) when changing from a supine (flat) position to standing or sitting up.  It's due to not enough blood returning to the heart.  Other symptoms can include fainting, feeling short of breath, lightheaded, and having vision problems.

Not sure how old she is but it usually doesn't occur before about age 15.  It can be more common just before her period.

Good luck.

It is insane that she doesn’t want to tell this to her parents. But now you can’t do a lot about it. You need to help it. It can manifest at totally different way. For example, some patients have fairly mild symptoms and can continue with normal work, school, social and other activities. But for other symptoms may be so severe than normal life activity.

While the diagnostic criteria focus on abnormal heart rate, this tachycardia syndrome usually presents with symptoms much more complex than a simple increase hart rate.

I believe that there are no some specific symptoms such she described and that is why it is very important to see the doctor.

Hey you two. Thank you very much for such quick answers. I really appreciate it. Medic dan she is a little bit weird. She is my niece, but she doesn’t want to “bother” hear parents with this. I remember that she had similar situation when she was younger – she was convinced that she is sick and at the end nothing has happened. She had just a flue, but it was nothing serious.
Of course that now I am worried but I don’t know what to do. Should I tell her parents or not?
She is 17 years old and I can’t remember, but I think that she mentioned that she is having blurred sight.
Is this one of the symptoms?

Possibly.

She REALLY needs to see her doctor. The problem is that the symptoms are vague. They can be caused by numerous other problems.

At 17, since you are not her parent, you may have problems getting her health care. If she's on her parents insurance they will find out.

Talk to them. While it is nice that she trusts you enough to ask if there is ANY reason to suspect a medical problem then the PARENTS need to know.

Hey.
I don’t know what to think. I went to see her today, I tried to talk to her but she doesn’t want to listen to me. Now she has this new phase – she doesn’t want to see her doctor. When I suggested her to tell her parents about her current condition, she was like crazy. She was screaming at me and she was throwing things all around her house. I know that her health is most important at this moment, but I am afraid that she won’t talk to me again.
Sometimes I think that she just want to get more attention because she is a teen girl and I know that she is not happy in her school.
I know that this is not an excuse and that she needs to see her doctor, but I am confused and I don’t know what to think.
I am planning to tell her parents about this. Today, her mom called me and when I asked her how my niece is she told me that she puke today.
Can that be a symptom?
Thank you for understanding me...

Hey Ashley. I have to agree with every sentence that medic dan wrote in here. She is your niece and it is your job to take her to the doctor. It doesn’t matter is she going to be mad at you or not, you need to tell her parents about her condition, whatever that condition is.

Yes, she is a teen girl and they all want to have an attention, but she puked today and that is one more thing that something is not OK with her.

If I were you, I would tell them about it. Whatever it is they need to know it.