My daughter is 17 years old (lives in Southern Spain) began to have fainting spells around 6 months ago after she had been sick with a cold / flu. She came to eat lunch at the table and didn't feel like eating, and while chewing food in her mouth, slumped her head forward momentarily, then collapsed with her head on the table. We took several minutes to revive her. She did not remember what happened. We found out from her after that she had several fainting spells already, either alone in her room, and even at school, but had never told us. Since then she has had more and more incidents with increasing frequency. At school she reported first losing her muscle tone, she would drop her pen, her head would slump forward, then her friend would take her into the hall and have her lie on a bench until she recovered. She might or might not go completely unconscious. At home her symptoms are not always alike, but often it has happened at mealtime, gradually becoming unable to hold up her head, it slumps forward and she eventually faints. Or, she recovers after a few minutes and doesn't faint. We took her in to our family doctor, who prescribed blood tests, referred her to a neurologist, who then referred her to a cardiologist. While we were waiting for her next appt for cardiology testing, the faints became so repetitive that we took her into emergency. She was quite weak during her stay at the hospital, feeling dizzy almost every time she got up, and fainting 1-3 times every day. They did not treat her with anything, just ran test after test. When they didn't find anything, they suggested that it was anxiety related, and she should see a psychiatrist. She doesn't believe this is the problem herself but a cop out from the doctors.

After she came home she seemed stronger. Happy to get out of the hospital. She seemed to be doing fine and we hoped she was just "getting over it". She went back to school after Easter but on the 3rd or 4th day she collapsed again at school. Since then she has another observable episode every 3 - 5 days. She has tried to control it with her will, and resist a faint when it is coming on. This hasn't been so successful, she can keep from going unconscious, but it takes longer for her to recover, she may go for an hour or more lying down unable to talk or sit up, with just the slightest response to our voice in her expression, enough for us to know that she hears us. Other times, though she doesn't faint, she experiences other symptoms such as loss of sight, loss of hearing, loss of sensation in her legs. One day she was walking, and said she could control her legs, but not feel them. Another day she looked at the table and said she saw it moving in waves.

Some days she says she doesn't feel well, and I'm still not quite sure what this means. Mostly I think it means she feels generally dizzy. The most recent episode, Monday night, she was about to enter her room to go to bed, she felt it coming on, grabbed the doorframe but couldn't resist it, slumped down to the floor and was unable to talk or move. She doesn't know whether she went unconscious or not, since there was no point of reference. She recovered her speech but was otherwise very weak.

I called her a few days ago (I work in China) and spoke with her and she told me "everything had gotten worse and that she was unable to go to school any more". I thought at first she possibly had vertigo but she said that she doesn't have the "illusion of motion and doesn't see things spinning". She said she only had this feeling of the room spinning associated with vertigo a couple of times. On all the rest of the occasions in the last 6 months there was no spinning but more of a dizziness and she said that it "doesn't always happen exactly the same". She said her "head starts to go forward and she may loose her hearing or sight (blurry or completely black) and then eventually she just slumps down" She told me that during this time nothing moves around her so she feels that it does not fit the definition of typical vertigo symptoms. During this time she may go unconscious or just lie there unable to move or speak, or even open her eyes. She says sometimes she can hear others around her. Sometimes it lasts a few minutes but it can last for over an hour at other times. She is always sensitive to things to might make her dizzy though. The other day she went walking with me, and simply the sunlight shinning through a wire fence where she was walking bothered her mother told me.

She has had many tests including CAT, EEG, blood tests and tests on the inner ear which all came up negative. She is extremely intelligent so I also do not buy the suggestion of dementia.

My 16 year old daughter is experiencing something very similar. All tests - MRI, MRA, EEG, EKG, blood work, urine analysis, full heart work up - have been normal. When the EMTs come they say she looks post seizure, but when we get to the hospital she is able to communicate, but very tired and has a headache. She says she can usually hear people, but she can not respond. These episodes can last from a couple of minutes to over an hour.

Have you received any answers? We are getting very frustrated and I am looking for something to grab onto and research.

Hi. My 17 y.o. has was diagnosed over six months ago with non-epileptic seizures/fainting, migraines, etc. Doctors state seizures are non-epileptic in nature and that she has conversion disorder which is common in young women.

I believe my daughter's symptoms are a result of the Gardasil vaccination as there are many girls with similar symptoms.

My daughter appears to be a healthy active 16 year old. She has been suffering from the same symptoms...dizziness, visual black outs, loss of consciousness, loss of muscle tone in legs and arms. This occurred several years ago and after much testing the doctors felt it might be migraines. Her symptoms diminished until recently. Now she has a tough time making it though the day. We are scheduled for more testing this week.

im 17 y.o now and this is happened to me twice in the past 2 months and i scary and nothing to take lightly i dont know what to do about it. i lose my hearing and sight and collapse i have to have people hold me so i dont. its not funny and it is crazy when it happens to you.

That sounds like a very scary issue! I'm curious if it isn't something brain-related. It seems that to me something that would cause something like that might be in the cranial area because it sounds similar to symptoms of narcolepsy or something like a neurological degeneration. It's strange because none of her tests came back positive. Did you ever figure out what it was?

I suffered from a loss of hearing, loss of vision, and a loss of consciousness (blackout) recently. First in a standing position, and then in a sitting position, my ears started to ring (canceling out all noise); the room began to spin and I felt dizzy; and I began seeing stars before blacking out. After fainting, my girlfriend found me and thought I might have had one of my seizures (I was diagnosed with Partial-Complex Epilepsy). In the end, it was not a seizure, and the whole scene was the result of a pinched Cauda Equina Nerve (Lower Spinal Cord). The dizzy feelings, the fainting, the spinning room, loss of muscle control in legs, etc. may be the result of Cuada Equina Syndrome. I would ask your doctors about it........it can't hurt to ask.

I am a 20 Year old male and i also have been having the same thing happen to me, as recent as this morning.

I will first loose my hearing to a loud ringing sound and then my eyesight will start to go black and fuzzy until i can see nothing at all, then ill often wake up on the ground a few minutes to half an hour later. A week ago this happened to me while i was around my room mates but i could not tell them anything as speaking seemed impossible to do.

In total this has happened to me 6 times in the past two months, with the last four being closer together. Its a scary thing to go through and with the hours that i work I'm often alone. If somebody finds some way that this can be prevented i would be grateful if you could post it.

If you also notice a darker skin complexion and your episodes are due to low blood pressure - you may want to look up Addisons Disease.

My daughter is 12 and has the same thing. she will suddenly get headaches, her hearing flashes in and out and the room spins then she feels like she is going to puke. What's worked is if she lays down and sleeps for about 30 minutes or so, or even just lays down.Usually this happens about 2 times a day and she faints everyonce and awhile, but she doesnt eat for the rest of the day after these episodes because she has no appetite.

Hi. Im a 19 year old girl and i had my first fainting spell when i was 8 but i never had another one until earlier this year. So far i have only had two this year but the doctors have been sending me everywhere too.

The last one i had i hit a toilet with my head in the process of fainting. Right before i have one my body gets really hot, then i lose my hearing and vision.

The doctors do not know whats wrong with me. So far i've and an EKG, an MRI, blood work, and a urine test, then they made me carry around a heart monitor for a day and everything came back fine. But tomorrow i go to a neurologist to get an EEG done.

Know i have horrible headaches that 500 MG tylenol wont even take care of, i have tremors sometimes or just twitches, sometimes my whole body will go numb too.

I'm also a tattoo artist so i am always worried that this will effect my job in every way. So if anybody finds out what this is called please let me know so i can talk to my doctor about it.

Thank you

this just happened to me for the first time! i was so freaked. i was taking a shower. then all of a sudden i felt hot, i couldnt hear anything and my vision went completely blurry and i couldnt feel my legs, but i could move them. i got out of the shower and sat down for a while trying to calm myself. after several minutes i felt better. i googled it and this came up, im 17 years old. its freaky how this happened to other girls around the same age. but i want to know what it is?

Hello, all. I am a 31 year old female from the US. I have had problems with several of these repeated symptoms since my puberty started at age 9 but never before.

The episodes come on suddenly, usually starting with a weird head/brain feeling accompanied by or quickly turning into a dizziness from the head. I specify from the head because I've also had other types of dizziness that seem to originate in other places other than what feels like the same space that the center of my brain occupies. For example, if one has the flu or cold, where much mucus is present, dizziness due to inner ear imbalances feels differently. I've also had pregnancy dizziness, which also feels different; that type almost feels like it sources from the body and the eyes are too slow to catch up. Sort of. Anyway, just a couple of examples to contrast.

The circumstances of each situation usually determine how each episode plays out. Sometimes migraines are a precursor, sometimes they evolve during, sometimes I can avoid them altogether. However, if I am not able to sit down before the dizziness starts to make me feel weak, the symptoms worsen and my head begins to feel like it is thickening.. and hardening.

A few triggers are known: certain foods can increase the chance of an episode, like donuts; too much light, brightness; heat; and cacophonous sounds. At any point leading up to or during an episode, these can be awful.

Nausea tends to work in tandem with the head, each one upping the other. It's not an exact feeling of needing to vomit; honestly, I don't know how to describe it. Kind of like my stomach doesn't like the skin it's in.

My body temperature seems to skyrocket, my heart feels like it's hard and trying to keep up. I begin sweating all over. In the most uncomfortable sweating sense ever. Like being in the highest humidity heat, like feeling miserable and you don't care if you fall in the gutter because you feel as if you are already so icky... it's hard to explain.

Vision starts to blur. Depending on how long before I can lie down, vision will get foggy while the ears tune differently somehow, like a ringing but not, like a deafness but not. Sounds are muddled like hearing under water but not as clear--until I am completely deaf. After the foggy vision, it's like my sight is pulled from behind my head, narrowing my view until I can see only a small bit in the center (tunnel vision) until I cannot see at all.

Meanwhile, the body feels like it's trying to give out. During this, the brain is trying to tell the body that it needs to lie down to regulate bloodflow and everything. If I am standing, knees and legs for sure, but also the torso (feeling from the stomach) will give out too. At that point, I pass out. I've passed out and been conscious after I hit the ground; I've also passed out and woken up not knowing how long I was unconscious.

Sometimes symptoms last for only minutes, other times for a few days--those are usually accompanied with migraines.

I have been tested for various things. An MRI of my brain showed nothing. I do know that during the point of the dizziness, my blood pressure drops to a scary level. I happened to be in doctor's office once and had about 6 nurses/doctors constantly checking my vitals until I regulated again. If you are in a position to have someone test your blood pressure and blood sugar during these episodes, I highly recommend it. It may help illuminate a pattern.

I also have PCOS, which is a genetic metabolic disorder that is closely related to diabetes. The list of possible symptoms are intense and may vary from person to person. For example, I have many different symptoms than my mother does, and we both have some different symptoms than her mother. My mother and grandmother have had high blood pressure (hypertension) while I tend to have hypotension. My mother had problems with too much weight and unreliable menses while I tend to be more active and eat healthier and do not have as much problems with weight and have regular menses. Emotional changes, spaciness, absent-mindedness--there are umpteen different potential symptoms. No one seems to have them all, and everyone seems to react differently which makes the syndrome particularly difficult to regulate.

I tend to just attribute these episodes to the PCOS, insulin resistance, blood pressure, and blood sugar problems that seem to all spawn from the PCOS. It wouldn't hurt to rule this syndrome out. It can cause serious problems such as diabetes and infertility and can be regulated with pill medication. Proper diet (watching what you eat and how it affects your body) and exercise helps its symptoms too. While it helps, it doesn't fix it completely. It is not curable.

I am 18 years old and have had the same exact Life story as your daughter. All i have to say is: GARDASIL GARDASIL GARDASIL!!! I have suffered from My vision first going black then hearing a ring in my ears then nothing then waking up on the ground. Sometimes I am having a seizure so bad that I actually wake myself up from the faint just because the shaking is so bad. THIS NEVER HAPPEND TO ME UNTIL I HAD MY FIRST SHOT OF GARDASIL. I HAVE HAD EVERY TEST POSSIBLE AND THE DOCTORS STILL HE NO CLUE AS TO WHAT'S WRONG. If you are looking at this form to find out what is wrong or going on with you AND YOU HAVE TAKEN GARDASIL then that is most likely your problem.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** inappropriate posting*** Please read our Terms of Use

I am just so upset that my life is ruined from my mom not looking about the poinsonous metal she was injecting into me. I never wanted this!

Perhaps Gardasil is the problem, perhaps not. However I will take fainting over cancer any day. Honestly if were to find out that it is simply a reaction to a vaccination and not something more serious I'd take it with a smile. After reading all the accusations against Gardasil I'm kind of hoping for it.