I have been suffering from right sided abdominal pain for 7 months now. The pain is along/under my last rib and at times causes sharp shooting pain on my back on my last rib.

I have been in hospital numerous times and still have not received a diagnosis. I have had ultrasounds and CT scans and have ruled out gall bladders problems and kidney infections. I do not have any issues with my digestive system. Due to the nature of work I was doing when the pain began, a lot of heavy lifting, twisting, pushing and pulling I thought that it was perhaps a hernia or muscular. I saw a physio which did not help. I then went to see a hernia specialist and he believed I had a rare hernia known as a Spigelian hernia (this is when there is a whole in the gut wall and it ruptures and eventually fuses into the muscle causing a lot of pain.

I had found a small lump along my rib before this and it came and went suggesting this type of hernia. This pain fluctuates between mild to intense but it is constant and I am always uncomfortable. I find it hard to sit upright for long periods and any movement seems to exacerbate the problem.

I was operated on for the Spigelian hernia 3 weeks ago and when the surgeon opened me up he found a lump of fat pulled it back and found a rib sitting out. He told me I had been born with an extra rib and that it had detached from my other ribs but was rubbing against them causing swollen cartlidge and tissue causing the pain. He referred me to a thoracic surgeron as it is very rare known as Floating Rib Syndrome.

However when I saw the specialist he told me I do not have an extra rib and that that was not wrote in the referral letter he received from the other surgeon. H e explained that he does not know what is wrong but that it may be nerve damage or perhaps my rib is dislocated. I am totally confused???!!! I have tried a range of medication from pain relief to anti inflammatorys and nothing has worked.

Can anyone make any suggestions or tell me if they are having similar symptoms?? I am so lost.

jb i have had the same thing somtime i feel sick but have all the same things you do my doctor gave me every test there is and nothing. now they have me takingstomach acid pills to shut off my acid all together i hope it works let me no if you find help please  thanks norm

You described my exact symptoms that I experience every few months. My doctor once described it as a "floating rib" that might be irritating my kidney or another organ in the general vicintiy? Did you every get an answer from anyone concerning this. I would be very interested in reading if there is anything that can be done to ease the pain when it does flare up. Muscle relaxants are not too successful thusfar.

I am going through this at the moment. Every morning I wake up with an intense pain in my lower back. And I mean pain. It takes about an hour to settle but uncomfortable all day. Then, I run my hand down my right side and on my last rib it hurts, when I push it clicks and ghrinds. 7 months of this and getting nowhere with my Doc I went elsewhere today. Floating rib syndrome I was told.... It would appear I am about to go down the route u have just been on :( xx

I had the right rib pain for 13-14 years and had every test under the sun done with no answer. I went to a pain doctor for a problem with my back and she told me it was a floating rib or flank and it sometimes doesn't stay in place 100% and will move and cause the pain. It feels like my ribs are pushing in on my liver and I have to lean to the left. She said she had an answer She gave me a shot of a mix of things to numb the area and also make the muscle around the rib hold tighter it HURT so bad but it felt 100% better by the next day. They push the rib in with there hand till it wont move anymore and then stick a needle between the ribs and then that BURNS. its rather quick 10 mins or so right in the doctors office I have to go anywhere from every 3-6 months for a re due but it fixed it with out having it taken out

Hi my brother has had virtually the same problems. Had all the tests, not liver, gall bladder, kidney, bowel all tests negative has been scoped, scanned, ultrasound. He will get these attacks out of the blue and also if the area is palpated. Have you found out any reason as of yet?

I too have floating rib syndrome. I coughed so hard while being sick from bronchitis that I felt the rib dislocate. That was almost two years ago. Since then I have been applying heat (a heating pad) and the pain has decreased some. I can not put anything tight around my waist... Like a belt...as it causes the pain to return. Also, losing weight around the waistline (a problem you may or may not have) helps considerably. I've been told that it can take up to 7 years to heal though I have seen improvement over time.

AI also have the same problem including the lump near the lower (only on right) rib.  It hurts for a few days (weeks) then goes away but always returns.  I have been told the lump is only fatty deposit and nothing to worry about.The pain is worst at night while going to sleep.  Strange, but if I sleep on my left side the pain the pain is more intense, sleeping on my right side (the pain side), the pain is much less intense as if pressure on the area helps.  The pain is from mid body around to my spine.  My doctor said he didn't know what it could causing this, but he said there is a nerve in the area that my be involved.

I have been in pain for over 2 years with this, I thought the Dr was joking about the diagnosis, it sounded made up but upon researching it, "yep that's my pain" Now, how can we fix this?? I have had several stomach surgeries, Gall Bladder, removed, pain got some better. But came back full force a few weeks later. I got accused of going to ER and Drs as a "Dr Shopper" "pill hunter" ect

This exactly what I have been going through for years. Thank you for sharing this. What kind of a doctor did you see for this treatment?

Went to a sports medicine doctor he took xrays and discovered it was slipped ribs and at the end of the rib tips they had calcium deposits on them, he gave me a strong antiflamitory and I will be starting on shots into the rib area . Also went to a chiropractor and he adjusted me. I can not believe how much better I am feeling and knowing that this pain is "not in my head"

This is me :) I have tried everything and finally found out today about my rib, I was in so much pain I asked to be put to sleep.(Dilaudid did not work and then it went away, I guess it took time. This has been exacerbated by lifting heavy things and just doing things I had no idea would make it worse.) I feel like I am constantly being stabbed with a sharp object. It is shocking!

I have had this exact same thing for 2 months now. I actually saw a sports medicine doctor this morning and he suggested prolotherapy. You should look into it.

Similar pain to mine. I have unknown cause of inflammation in my bowel combined with scare tissue, muscle damage and a possible floating rib. My pain is agonizing and i get a burning sensation that radiates down my entire right side. This has been going on for 5 years now. I'm on 2700mg gabapentin, butrans patches, buscopan, omeprazole, codeine, paracetamol, ensure, pro cal, versatis patches, amitriptyline, Mirtazapine, cymbalta. Despite these meds and a few others i never feel any better.

It should be noted this is all on my right side