Hello! I visited my friend yesterday and found her crying. She was desperate. After she described all the problems she had with her husband I became really worried. They got married only a year ago and their marriage was fine but few months ago he started to behave strange. He believes that she has been replaced by an impostor. My friend thinks that he suffers from capgras delusion but I think that he is maybe addicted to some narcotics. What are the symptoms of capgras delusion?

Hello! First of all, your friend has to find the way to take her husband to his doctor or a psychiatrist. The symptom she described is the symptom of Capgras delusion and this is something she can’t deal with alone. The symptoms of Capgras delusion have usually following characteristics: the person is convinced that one or several persons have been replaced by an identical looking imposter, the patient sees true and double persons, the person is conscious of the abnormality of these perceptions and there is no hallucination.

what are the reasons behind a patient suffering from capgras delusions?? 

Capgras delusions is not a condition that occurs on it's own - it's always one part of some other underlying condition, usually the ones that cause delusional misperceptions. For some reason it happens more to women, but as a part of schizophrenia, senile dementia and similar severe mental disorders.

is it possible for a patient of capgras syndrome to behave normally to people whom he is not very close to.. like say if he works as a professor... will his delusions effect his profession??