My wife is 33 years old with a serious stomach issue that no one can explain what's wrong with her. She was a very healthy woman where she could eat almost about anything, but from one day to another her pain just started. I am so sick of going to all the GI offices and the hospital who keep telling us that nothing is wrong with her and that she has a small Hiatal Hernia that has nothing to do with her burning sensation and her stabbing right above the stomach and her nausea. A couple of days ago my wife was admited to the hospital for burning stomach and nausea and sure enough they found nothing. They ran all kinds of exams on her; they did a CAT scan which showed no result but everything being pefect per the Dr., they ran an ultrasound which showed a normal Gall Bladder, they ran a Hida Scan which shows Gal Bladder function and hers was perfect with no stones, then they did a Colonoscopy which they found nothing but a polyp which they removed, they did an endoscopy which showed no result of any sort but the Hiatal Hernia. So they put my wife on Protonix, Levaquin, and Zofran while she was in the hospital. After the dr ran all the exams and sent all the results to the lab they got negative results and the Dr. said that everything was fine and they released her and sent her home with some prescriptions.

Before she even went to the hospital she was being seen by a GI dr in California that ran some exams on her one being an endoscopy and got the same result as from the hospital, but this Dr from california put her on Aciphex which in my opinion made her even worse. But according the Dr. in Arizona Aciphex should be working. My wife has been taking Aciphex for 1yr and a half and it was not doing anything for her, if anything her condition was getting worse. So thats when we went to the hospital and they ran all the exams on my wife, and we are back to square one once again where no one can tell us what's wrong. My wife can barely eat because anything she eats gives her a burning sensation like as if her stomach was on fire. For the last 6 days all she can eat is a piece of toast or crackers. She tried eating a bowl of soup the other day but her stomach automatically started to burn and once again she got the stabbing pain and nausea. My wife has been fighting this condition for about 2 yrs now and I have done all the research on my own and have been very patient with all the Dr's we have seen but when everyone is telling me that nothing is wrong with my wife and you as a husband see the pain and the discomfort she has at night and during the day, you for sure know otherwise. So I am here writing in this forum to a least get a lead or a direction to where to start or maybe someone can guide us to a better path to getting her healthy.

I read on the Web that a procedure can be done to fix GERD and the hiatal hernia. What they do is fix the Esophageal Sphincter so that the gastric fluids are not sent back up into esophagus. While doing this procedure they can also fix the Hiatal Hernia. So I am wondering if my wife would need this surgery or maybe someone can guide us to a better solution because according to the article it says that when the medication like Protonix is not working then surgery is a possibility.

Here are all the exams she has gottten done in the last two years.

1. Hida Scan or deep scan (Negative Results)
2. Two CAT Scans (Negative Results)
3. Two Endoscopies (Negative Results but the Hiatal Hernia)
4. Colonoscopy (Negative Results but Removed one Polyp)
5. Two Utra Sounds (Negative Results)
6. Lactulose Breath Test (Positve Results-Antibiotics Givin)
7. Barium Upper GI test with small intestine follow through (Negative Results but her Acid Reflux because of the Hiatal Hernia)
8. H. Pylori test (Negative Results)
9. Several Blood Tests (ALL NEGATIVE)

Medications:
Right now she is on (Protonix, Levaquin, and Zofran)
Before she was on (Pepcid, Nexium, Prilosec, and Aciphex)

>:(

I am having a very similar problem and keep getting negative tests. I have not been having it as long as your wife but virtually it started overnight and I can hardly eat anything. Losing weight and I had negative:

Endoscopy
Ultrasound of the abdomen
Abdomen films
blood tests

The medications they gave me too seemed to make me worse instead of better. Been in the ER twice in the last two weeks. Supposed to go for an MRI this week. I am 50.

Thanks,

Kathy

Have they tested for celiac disease?

I’ve had similar symptoms, though it doesn’t happen as often as what you’re poor wife is going through. I do get a lot of stomach burning sensations and feeling that vomiting might make me feel better.
I’ve asked my doctor and she just gave me pills that’ll reduce acid in the stomach >.<. This of course does nothing.. I thought maybe it was my birth control pills. ( or at least that’s what ive been telling myself). But after 5 years of taking them I figured my body would be use to them by now.

At least I know im not going crazy though..

Im 28

Ally

Im 28

i had the pain... i wanted to dig my gut out it felt so bad. i only wanted ice and soup i could not eat ..i found out i had cancer.

korrala, i have exactly same problem. Burning and stabbing pain exactly after i eat and about 2-3 hours after. If my stomach is empty I am fine, but we need to eat. This started after I experienced a lot of stress in the last year. I am diagnosed with mild gastritis and gerd. Taking antacids but it helps half the day. I also feel nausea sometimes (but this might be sideffect from antacid med). I don't know what to do anymore. This just came suddenly. I have never been sick like this before and my weight is normal for my height. I could eat anything. I am 39.

Hi I 38 years old and I have been suffering just like your wife, I did all the same test and the only think doctors said was I had a hernia hiatal, and all my test was good. I want to know if your wife has fixed her problem and what they did for her.

i have had the same symptoms,burning sensation,nausea, early fullness after eating, sometime nausea just before BMs of course weight loss and exhaustion off and on since 2006. Had a bout of it in 06 that lasted about 11 months. Endescopy with biopsy looking for cancer, ct scans etc, hpylori negative. Went to a certified naturalpath in January 07 restricted my diet of all glutens, by April i was feeling much mor like myself. Couple of more bouts over next 2 years - currently in middle of worst since 96(5th week). Am going back to see gastro specialist but it takes 3 to 6 months where i live but ive starting to feel more hours of good than bad. What helped? Start by Restricting diet to soluble fibres and mostly liquids, protein shakes, turnip, humous, sw potato and only brown rice pastas and rice crackers. no wheats no glutons. Give your gut a break. Nexium going on 2nd month(helps with burning for sure). 2 yrs ago Doc gave me clonazepam if I have nausea and discomfort with eating and its bad I take 1/2 of .5mg pill and it relaxes gut and lets it happen. Careful with this drug tho its powerful but helped me a tonne(have never taken more than 1 full pil in a day). I took it for a week long bout in 08 and same result. relaxes gut. recent thyroid results show as hypo as well. Can contribute to digestive problems, under investigation. Will post once ive tried it. Also if you check mayo clinic site they are doing study(others have been done with success seen) on use of low dose seratonin based antidepressants and effect on neurotransmitters in nerves of stomach for people with chronic dyspepsia. I just started using them this week. Absolutely stay away from steak, popcorn, breads, anything tough hard or grainy. Go to a naturalpath, ensure they are certified. Mine has 4 years of med school and 4 years at naturalpathec college. Lots out there not certified. Combination of old and new medecines the best, rule out the clinical sinister stuff and work on healthy repair with naturalpath. long bouts take time to heal, be patient. Hope this helps.

In response to korrala.....what your wife is going thru sounds exactly what my husband has been going thru! He also has been to a well known AZ gastroentrologist and had all the tests done and they all came back negative. We moved to OR last year and he went to OR Health & Science University and they again ran every test they could think of and again, negative. He has lost some 50# and no one knows what his problem is. He has diarrhea, has been prescribed so many medications and none worked so this Oct. we stopped all medications, OHSU said the only thing they can think it is is lactose intolerance. Been on this diet for 2 months and still has burning sensation; only thing that helps is taking 2T honey sprinkled with cinnamon and this does calm it down. Been to an accupunturist hoping he could help....he did help with his sleeping better at night but no with the burning sensation. Please let me know if your wife's situation is diagnosed.......my husband doesn't want to go to any more doctors as tired of having the tests and everyone comes back negative. He's had several colonoscopys, endiscopy, abdominal ultrasound, gastro emptying scan, scan w/contrast, blood tests constantly , spittal test w/infectious disease doctor, EGD, video capsule, test for celiac disease and Crohns disease. Before 2006, he was so healthy and not on any meds then he got h. pylori and had his gall bladder removed and that's when the diarrhea started. We were traveling and he visited many ER's in different areas with D and they prescribed antiobiotics at each ER. He just kept getting worse and all meds prescribed did not help his situation. We are both so discouraged as no doctor can identify the problem and there seems to be a lot of other people with same symptons.

sorry to hear about your wife, iam in the same situation as you are for the past year and a half my husband has been having alot of the same symptoms as your wife he has alot of pain in his stomach and throwing up he's been to so many doctors that says nothing is wrong with him and its so hard to be calm when there is somthing wrong with your loved one. a year ago they told him he had a small hiatel hurnea that causes this kind of pain but they couldnt give him in sergry at this time cause of insurence issues. now we moved back to Md and these doctors up here are a joke. they say that the hernea wont cause this kind of pain and they keep looking else were he has had so many test done and everything keeps coming up fine. we know he needs the sergry no doubt its finding a doctor who knows what they are doing to give it to him. he has the burning really bad he cant eat for days and days on end. he throws up for 24 to 48 hours non stop when hes in pain its gotten so bad its every single day thing and has been for awhile now. he throws up blood after awhile that hes been throwing up the only thing that calms him pain a little bit is laying in a tub of very hot water seems to help him doesnt take the pain away but calms him down a bit but be careful u can dehydrate your self doing that which he does alot. we are seeing a new gi specilist so keep your fingers crossed that maybe he can help. plus all they are worryed about is putting him on pain medican to take the pain away. that doesnt take the problem away. but it does help him cope alot better. but he needs this surgry so bad. try printing stuff off the internet about hiatel hurneas and the symptoms and taking them to her doctors with you and tell him that she is having all them symptoms maybe then he might do somthing if not keep going to a new gi doctor intill someone wants to help her cause the ones you are seeing now are only going to make her worse befor better i know we are there now. i hope she gets better and gets the help she needs.

Jenny

I would love to know if any of you who are experiencing these problems have found out anything new..
    I am 18 and have been suffering with similar symptoms for the past 2 years, My main symptom is nausea which i have every day now, it used to just be every few days but i literally have it from when i wake up until when i go to sleep.
    More recently i have been getting really strong pains in the upper bit of my stomach it feels like it is in the nerve endings and it is a sharp pain, hard to describe. I have had numerous tests including endoscopy, ultrasounds, xrays and many bloodtests.
    I also have found that i am more prone to infection for example last year i had tonsilitos 5 times. I am not sure if this has anything to do with my stomach.
    I have been on about 20 different tablets and i really dont know what to do anymore. I have no life now as i dont ever feel well enough to go out socialising, i dont drink or smoke and i eat a healthy diet.
    Any help would be appriciated.

Everything you have writen in this letter sounds like yuour talking about me except im 51 and have been going through this since 2003 started after my right kidney was removed for kidney cancerafter that im going through everything you have writen and still have the burning the pressure of folding a pillow under my stomach cant eat meds are not helping and I as your wife have a hernia also my prayers go out to you and your wife

Sorry to hear so many of you are going through the same thing I am. I have the same symptoms as all described here--nausea, burning stomach, abdominal cramping, bloating, alternating diarrhea/constipation, lost a lot of my hair. I lost a dramatic amount of weight in a short time. Have serious muscle wasting. I am weak and in constant pain. This has been going on for 2 years, but I keep on fighting and looking for answers. The tests are always negative or "normal"--then what am I? crazy? I don't think so!

A naturopathic doctor has suggested gut dysbiosis & malabsorption going on--overgrowth of bacteria, too many "bad bacterium" and that I need to kill off the yeast and supplement with good bacteria. Tested me for food antibodies and stool samples for parasites (waiting on results) And by the way, medical doctors think this is hogwash. but at least, I am trying to get to the root of my problem instead of accepting their many prescriptions --including anti-depressants--that DO NOTHING for me. I feel as if no one cares enough to follow through with me til the end. But the ND does!

Her treatment of me is the only thing that has helped . I have stopped losing weight and I am feeling better. I gave up gluten and dairy, willingly--- even though "they" say I do not have celiac. I did it because I felt it would help me--and I think it has. I have felt so lousy for so long and yet, I think if I can straighten out the gut, the source of inflammation in our bodies, I will improve. So, I am following her advice. The medical doctors? they do nothing for me. Offer me sedatives and a condescending pat on the back. My husband and I are so tired of this "treatment".

The suggestion is that we who have stomach distress are depressed and anxious and that is why we have "irritable bowel". The real answer is we have something going on in our guts and that makes us sad and anxious for relief.

I hope that all of you find answers and feel better soon! I can honestly say I feel your pain. Best wishes!!

did she check if she is a celiac ??? maybe she is n she doesn't know it, She should take that test and then if it is not that I really don't know what to tell you