Hi! Recently I heard something about Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome. It seams to me that I have it. I have dizziness, shortness of breath for no apparent reason, heart palpitations. Please tell me what symptoms of Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome are. What should do if I think that I have Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome?

Hi! Most common symptom of Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome is the presence of vague dizziness accompanied by a lot of other unrelated symptoms. Those symptoms might include any of the following: shortness of breath for no apparent reason, frequent sighing or yawning, chest pains, heart palpitations, sweating, fainting, dizziness, tachycardia (rapid pulse), depression, trembling and many others. If several of these symptoms sound familiar, ask your doctor about Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome. It seems to me that you have some symptoms. You should check do you have Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome.

Hello, I have chronic hyperventilation syndrome and I would love to talk to others that have it as well. I was diagnosed after 3years of not knowing what was wrong, I was sent to doctor after doctor after doctor and no one could figure it out. Finally a neurologist decided to take my blood gasses and concluded I had this horrible syndrome. I just found out that I am pregnant with my second child and am extremely nervous about the pregnancy. Because of this disorder, my last pregnancy was so horrible with dizziness and I could barely move. If there is anyone out there that has this condition please send me a message. I just want some people to talk to that know what it is like and maybe share ideas of what has helped each other.

tuyuiiouipuiopyu p

magicfox: i'm so very happy to find u. I don't know if I have the chronic hyperventilation syndrome or not but I indeed have many hour a day when I hyperventilate. I have panic disorder aswell.
I'm 23rd week pregnant now and all my symptoms have increased so bad. I'm also terrified cause I'm so scared the the ventilation'll do harm to my baby.
I sometimes cope with my breathing but sometime there are periods when I hyperventilate so badly that I get terrible headaches, dizzines and a huge amount of gas in my belly. It's so frustrating, cause I can't help my self at all.
I even called to doctor about this and they said that there can be a lack of oxygen with the fetus. ?!? But they also told that if u smoked one cigaret the fetus'd suffer from lack of oxygen for half an hour. And smokers get healthy babies too.. So I don't know...
Hope u get my answer soon and please contact me!!

Sorry about my English... I'm from Finland.

Hi All, I have this too, I was diagnosed about 5 years ago with GAD, when various symptoms including HSV started happening. I went through extensive medical checking and they found nothing wrong and put me on antydepressants. Even though I was reluctant to take them, they really helped, but about one year ago I got pregnant and with the advise of the doctor I stoped the medications. Unfortunately I lost the prgnancy in the 14th week. and now I am back where I started. this time is worse than ever, it happens all the time, cant take deep breath, tingling and constatly worrry that I will suffocate. I realize that this threat is unreal but for me as I sure for all of you that have this disorder it seems as real as anything.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the article thus far. I enjoyed reading all the articles and though I found many similarities with my condition the biggest discrepancy is the fact that it started very recently. It came on very suddenly about 10 days ago. I have never experienced these symptoms in the past or anything similiar. I am young, 23, have a moderately healthy vegetarian diet and get enough exercise. Granted I have been working so much that I have been slightly neglecting my health in the process, but nothing to warrant what I have been experiencing. I have been having difficulty breating almost constantly! At the computer, walking down the hall, even right now laying in bed typing on my laptop. I feel like I'm struggling to get oxygen out of the air - like my body is rejecting it for some unknown reason? The headaches and lack of focus are also sidenotes of this recent transition. If anyone has experience with something I would love to hear your story. Thanks and good luck.

For the past few years i've had all the symptoms of chronic hyperventilation disorder. (Trouble breathing, frequent yawning to get a breath, chest pains, belching, chest tightness, fatigue, weird dreams) I got a chest xray and went to an allergist. I had allergies and the chest x ray was negative. The asthma medicine didn't do anything so, I'm pretty sure i have chronic hyperventilation syndrome.

For me the best thing that helps is it running. Perhaps, it helps me get deeper breaths. Sometimes when im lying down before i go to bed I'll get attacks where i think im going to stop breathing and have trouble breathing. My heart races. I force my self to do something else like push ups or something and that helps me a little.

What i wonder though, is if this is mental, and I'm fine, how come i tell myself that but i still have trouble breathing. This has been plaguing me for 2 years now. And the weirdest thing is my sister told me she has been having some of the same problems and I didn't realize that she did for a year after i had my first symptoms.

Keeping myself busy, running, maintaining good posture, eating healthy, and trying not to think about it seems to help me. I dunno.

i noticed when i was pregnant with my son that i had trouble breathing but i never really thought it was a problem, then about 2 weeks after he was born i got a really bad dizzy spell again i thought not too much of it , i mean i did just have a baby right? things started to get worse and worse i had difficulty breathing in all the way with an array of other strange symptoms i was really scared! i seen a lung specialist and he said i had streached my lungs from sucking of the gas during labour and it would take 4-6 mos to go away. well my son will be a year in 2 weeks and i still dont have my life back to the way id like it to be, apparently i am anemic too which these docs just decided to tell me apparently anemia can make you dizzy and breathless quite a bit too! so ive started an iron supplement. othern than that ive had chest x rays, ct scans, allergy tests, and bllodwork all come back normal, i was taking sybicort inhaler and that seemed to help a lil bit but i still have to do a methicoliane challenge test to see if this is caused by asthma. i have post nasal drip, which i was told by a doctor can make it hard to breath for some people ive just started avamys nasal spray. this disorder at times is way too much for me to handle ive heard excersise is the best thing but its been really hard to go for a walk even when im feeling so weak and dizzy and like i cant breath so any advice would help me a great deal im having such a hard time with this!

I am 15 and i have been having trouble breathing, and i have been sent to tons of specialists, but they can't find anything wrong with me. THe most recent decided that it would help if i saw a speech therapist. Personally, i thought the doctors were going crazy. THey tried and tried to blame it on stress, but i have hardly any stress at all. I'm on 7 diferent medicense, but this syndrome checks out.

Hi, I have suffered chronic hyperventilation syndrome for 3 and a half years now. Started when I took ecstasy at a club then smoked cannabis afterwards, started falling asleep, suddenly thought i had stop breathing. Had a terrible panic attack, thought i was going to die.
Afterwards for a year or two I was constantly monitoring the way i was breathing, checking how much air i was breathing out, convinced that i was going to stop. Went psychologists and doctors about it, was told that it was because i had anxiety disorder causing me to breath faster and deeper. I discovered CHS myself on the web, and had all the typical symptoms. Chest pain, light head etc.. these things can mimic serious health concerns!
Anyway, i still have it but now that i know that it is a completely harmless condition, so it has got easier and has improved, its just uncomfortable thing to have! Personally mine came about psychologically, but i have read that it can develop throughout your life from just getting into a pattern of breathing 'wrong'. Some things I have done that have helped are: Stopped smoking cigs, no commercial drugs, just knowing and believing that this condition is harmless to your health, try breathing with your stomach rather than your chest, talking about it. If anyone has this condition I would like you to email me, _[removed]_ , . I'm thinking of trying hypnotherapy soon to eliminate it altogether, not sure if it will work but ill give it ago.
This is an awful thing to have if you dont know what is going on so please talk to people you find who have it. Just the reassurance will help.
And I hope this has helped

Hey, I am 28 year old male living in South Africa. I have been feeling sick for the last 3 Years and went to many doctors and specialists. I had all the symptoms of Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome, but I never knew it. I did research on the internet and went to at least 5 different doctors a year. No one could tell me what was wrong, I have a disformed Kidney and High blood pressure problems. Doctors pinned my illness down on this, but even on medication I didnt feel better. I have been diagnosed yesterday by and ENT (Ear nose and Throat) specialist that I have Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome. Its horrible I know but I am been trying to deal with it. My best advice out there is to try and keep active and work out, it helps for me. I am still Ill and trying to recover its not easy, but I really thought I had heart failure or Cancer in my system. After I read about the Symptoms of Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome i knew that it was my problem. Hopefully forward i would be able to deal with it and let all of you know how I over come it. Good luck to everyone with this problem and I wish you all the best. Life is worth living.

I'm fifteen years old and i too have seen several doctors who did nothing but guess and check, and everything came back normal. I've been having problems for three months now and i fit the symptoms of Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome perfectly. we have yet to do anything about it, and i long to know what im supposed to do! will i ever get over this???!!!

I am 19 years old, and I've had weird breathing problems for a as long as I can remember. About a month ago my mom told me that I had a caved in chest when I was born, but the doctor told her that I would be okay and that this was not a rare case for a new born. When she told me that I thought maybe that could be the reason for why I have been struggling with breathing.
When I was in first grade, I was told I had asthma, but I never believed that diagnosis. That doctor told my whole family that we all had asthma when it was CLEAR that my sister and my brother did not. I've had really bad allergies all my life, but I've never had an asthma attack, just a REALLY hard time breathing sometimes. Inhalers DO NOT work.
I have noticed that when it's really humid outside, my breathing gets so much worse. I feel like I can't get enough air and my chest feels really tight when I gasp for breath. When I carry a heavy backpack, my breathing is bad until I lift the straps from my shoulders. Also, when I wear a dress or something that is tight around my ribs, my breathing gets really bad.
I am a very nervous person, so maybe it's anxiety that's provoking my breathing problem. Then again, when I exercise or when the weather is really humid, I get the evil breathing problem again. It frustrates me more than anything. Anybody have these symptoms?

Hello everyone

I have been suffering with all these symptoms for 10 years but for periods of up to a month at a time.

The worst symptom i get is that i am constantly aware of my breathing from the moment i wake up til the moment i finally fall asleep and it feel laboured and like im not getting enough air into my lungs. This is so distressing that it causes me to have hourly panic attacks and im unable to function at all in social situations even missing my friends wedding due to this problem.

ALong side the difficulty breathing i get a lump sensation in my throat, a dry mouth, constant yawning, fast pulse, aching tenderness in my chest and a constant feeling of pending doom and fear the feelings will not go away ever.

Im going to my GP soon as possible to see if it is CHS that is causing me these problems. would love to discuss this with people to help us all find re-assurance, information and support

Emily xxxxxx