I have strained my ankles yesterday while running. It started to hurt right away. I couldn’t’ run anymore, so I walked slowly home. When I arrived I put an ice pack on it and went to bed. This morning the ankle is swollen, still hurts, and it became pale. What should I do to make the swelling and the pain go away? I took an aspirin but it didn’t help.

First of all don’t take any more aspirin or ibuprofens. These are anti-inflammatory pain relievers, they may help you reveal the pain a little but can cause bleeding. You need to see a doctor straight away. S/he will order x-rays to see if there was a fracture. According to the results, s/he will tell you what measures to take.

I use PRICE remedy to relieve swollen ankles and feet, it means protect, rest, ice, compression and elevation. I have circulation problems, and as I have to sit a lot. My ankles are swollen and feet are pale very often. But I heard that varicose veins may cause these symptoms. Massage with chestnut gel is helpful in that condition.