The outside and just underneath my right foot hurts really bad. It started after a race this past weekend. It almost feels like it is bruised. The good news is that it doesn't hurt under my arch. Just along the outside. It hurts to walk now. It kind of feels like somebody smacked the side of my foot with a bat. I had to quit 11 minutes into my run today (which says a lot about the level of uncomfort... I never bag my runs in the middle of them). What is this? How worried should I be? How much rest? Is there anything I can do to help it along? Can I suck it up and keep running, or is this one of those red flag things to watch out for? Bottom of right foot Pain/uncomfortable area indicated with the red oval

It could be a number of things, so you might want to see the doctor just in case, but, I had something that sounds exactly like that, sharp pain (almost stress fracture like pain) like you are saying on the lateral edge of my right foot right where this finger is pointed

I was given a prescription anti-inflammatory, an icing regimine and told to layoff, which I did (without much complaint, it hurt otherwise), and 3 weeks later I was able to run a marathon on it.

Good luck, injuries are no fun.

Pfff... you should be in medicine! :o

I've had both tendonitis and a stress fracture in my foot and they were both very localized pain. I'd say that it was something muscle related. Is there any swelling or redness?

Did you race in flats?
My hope is this would be just a bad 'bruise' from racing hard with little cushioning. If it subsides quick enough after a day or two, I'd attribute it to that.

First thing my dr. did was an xray for a stress fracture. That was clear, so....

See, X, I told you running is bad for you! J/K. I hope you figure out what it is exactly and that you feel better soon.

I think both jrjo and cherylpf are correct.

That whole insertion point is visibly swollen and irritated. But a few days of ice and rest seemed to work it out. Chances are that racing flats did me in on a tough terrain with a solid effort.

I need to go look up stretches to keep that from happening again.

This was EXTREMELY helpful to me. I'm new to running since January and have had this exact pain for the past 2 weeks. I just ran 1/2 marathon yesterday. The pain impacted my pace by about a minute per mile and I can hardly walk today. Ice, ibprofen, elevation, and no running for a week. I hope that is all I need :) Thanks for sharing this.

take care

Peroneal enthesiopathy (insertional tendontis is the most likely cause. But stress fractures, tuberosity fractures and a condition called dorsal compression syndrome should all be considered. You can find detailed information on all causes of outside of foot pain here. *** link removed ***

This was the same thing that happened to me during a recent marathon. The anti-inflammatory was the best thing that helped in this case. I have only gotten this problem during a race myself (it happened twice) Give it it's due time of rest, ice, and anti-inflammatory and you'll be back on your feet in no time!

Oftentimes, the running injuries we experience are due to exercising too much. It is quite possible for the tissue to become inflamed. When this occurs, it is necessary to rest! Anti-inflammatory medicine may help, as well as icing the area, but the most important factor is rest. For how to deal with other common running injuries, check out: *** advertising not allowed ***

Peroneal tendonitis is very possible. Pain at the outer part of the foot/ankle is common in runners. Rest until you feel no pain, get some good deep tissue massage for the calf and peroneals. Check your trainers.
*** no advertising links *** - more info here