For years I have suffered from swollen feet and ankles and I have noticed some pin-prick redish brown dots on the tops of my feet and around my ankles. They never dissappear and have gotten worse over time. When I mentioned to my doctor about them they dismiss it and tell me that they will eventually go away but I first noticed them 8 years ago whilest pregnant with my son. Infact they nearly look like freckles! Is it just a case of it's nothing to worry about or could there be a problem?

Oh God i have the same problem,
i have had 4 children, and after being pregnant with them i put weight on and my legs and feet and ankles get very swollen,
its almost like a rash but its kinda red coloured freckles like,
it doesnt itch most of the time, apart from when i got in hot water in the bath and it itched a bit, but i tried not to scratch it, because i didnt want to make it worse, my doctor said it was vericose vains, but i dont think it is.
because the veins area the top of my leg, this is something else,
i was taking the pill, thats what made me put weight on, i have stopped now, because i worry about the risks, (thromboses) etc.
If anyone else know of this or suffers from it please reply,

Michelle

I have the same thing...doctors kept dismissing it or trying to tell me it was ringworm...I'm not a doctor, but even I know what ringworm looks like...and this is not it!

I have a small spot on one ankle, it gets bigger and smaller, but is always there. I finally went to a dermatologist (who also happened to be the wife of a co-worker) and she listened. She said it was broken capillaries from poor circulation and/or weith gain (she was trying to be polite, I think LOL). My ankle does swell on that side, even though I am only 29.

She gave me a cream to rub onto it once a day to reduce the redness whenever it is present...I will find it and re-post here tomorrow (sorry it is not with me now!) She even gave me a couple samples, so the price was right!

In any case, it works fairly well! The swelling remains, but I can't expect a dermatologist to fix the kidneys!

I have the same thing it looks like freckles on my foot towards my toes. For me i had a blood workup and it can be caused by low platelates (sticky stuff in the blood) I am seeing a hemotologist to see if its anything serious. The doctor doesnt seem too worried but at 39 6'3" 285lbs Its good to keep an eye on any signs.

i have the same thing i think its a weight issue as i am a guy and there is no chamce of me being pregnant that has to be it...

My Mom's calves are breaking out in big, patchy red spots. It looks like it's burst or popped blood vessels. could it be purpura or ecchymosis or petechiae???

im having a problem similar. i have small red dot, bout the size of a pin head on my ankles and feet. im 18 with no wait gane or pregnancy. cant afford a doctor so i thought i would give this a try. an i dont know if it is related at all but ive also been having trouble with my arms, wich have been throbing unbelivaibly.

Google "Schamberg disease"
or click this link....
[/url]

I have the same thing, and my doctor blew me off as well. It certainly restores my faith in doctors to see it isn't happening to just me. It started out as small red spots on the back of my feet. After a few days the spots go from red to brown. Over time they have almost covered feet and have made their way onto my calves. My Dr. said it's because I'm getting "older"... Older?? I'll be 30 in February! Sheesh... For me, this just started happening last year around this time. I used to wear tight shoes and calf length socks. I noticed that my feet were swelling and when I took my socks off I could see an impression of my sock. I have since started wearing ankle socks and loose shoes. A year and a half ago I weighed 165 lbs... From then until now I have gained roughly 50 lbs. Partially because of meds I have to take, partially because I am married (refuse to believe this cant be a sympton ;-) ), and partially because I work third shift for a bank as a customer service rep, sitting for 8 hrs a shift. From what I have read so far, Schamberg disease fits these symptoms to a T. I am going to make an appointment at a foot doctor and will be armed with a folder-full of printed out info I have accumulated throughout my web research.

This is probably micro-petechia. I have it and it was a result of recently starting a regiment of Warfarin (anti-coagulant). I was told it can also frequently happen when someone has an unusual amount of physical stress on the feet, like running and jogging or heavy lifting or even just being up and around alot when you are overweight (heavy weight by pregnancy also). It is usually accompanied by swelling, but not always. It is not harmful, mainly cosmetic, but you should bring it to your doctor's attention, especially if it happens in relation to a medication you take. In effect, you can think of them as mini bruises. They will heal well enough, sometimes being spotches that can cover the whole feet or sometimes just a few freckles. The individual dots will heal but others might break, so even though it seems like it's not getting better, it's in a constant process of healing and bruising and healing and brusing that makes it only topical, which is why I think many doctors dismiss it.

My feet and legs swelled and I got what looked like a red splotchy rash on my legs from my ankles up my calf toward the knee, mostly on the inside of my leg. I had done more walking and standing that usual and it was very hot and humid. My doctor said the rash is actually broken capillaries caused by the swelling. She said that next time I am in those conditions, perhaps a fluid pill would help. Compression socks would be helpful, too, she said, but when it's so hot she said who wants to wear those. Now that it has happened she said that the red color will eventually leave a brown discoloration. She told me to take a multivitamin, use warm compresses on my legs, perhaps rub lemon juice on my legs to lighten the marks. It's nothing serious, but annoying and also causes the discoloration, which of course I don't like.

44 yr old male. Was 280 lbs. Recently gained 55 lbs more (from stress). Recently, many painless purple-turning brown spots appeared above my inner ankles, on top of outer feet and up back of calves, below calf muscles, all less than 1 cm. I've slept in a chair for years and began walking 2 hours per day. I've had edema at my ankles for years. I see from the web that there's a chance it's a bad illnesses, but I reckon it's almost certainly obesity induced petechiae. Hope it heals. How do you count calories?

I have had the same red spots on my feet and ankles as well as up my legs. I found this thread and it looks like everyone here has pretty much the same thing going on. I dont have swelling though my legs often feel real heavy and uncomfortable. I have an overall feeling of heavy legs and last night my legs fell asleep where when I woke up, I couldnt feel them. Im thinking its a circulation issue. I weigh 230 and im 5 10. Im thinking that its not helping at all that I work all day sitting in front of a computer. It seems that the prolonged sitting is not good, and neither is the extra weight. Its time to get off the bad food as well as get off our butts! Eat right, exercise, and dont sit on your butt all day. This sounds like a winning combo. I hope it works cuz I dont have insurance.

My first episode with these blood red dots that form what looks like a rash was while we were on a cruise. The doctor on board said I had "jellyfish stings". Okay? We didn't see any jellyfish but okay...he's the doctor. Then two years later, on dry land, I was walking through a craft fair in August and noticed my "jellyfish stings" were back. Now three years since the last episode they are back after a day of walking on a hot, humid day...no jellyfish in sight. I am overweight but I hate the label of obese. I am sedentary except for domestic chors. The idea of the "blood thinner" connection is quite interesting since I take about 2000mg of Bufferin per day for persistent migrains (since I was 17). Whatever this is, it is NOT jellyfish stings.

Hi, I read this thread with interest and have to wonder if anyone ever suffered with a bite bick and if so, have you considered being tested for Lyme disease. I am not medical person but have suffered for 20+ years, only to be correctly diagnosed with Lyme Disease and Rickettsia in Feb 2010 after 10 years of mis-diagnosis. :-)

Hi, I have this rash aswell.. Or at least thats what I thought it was, it's been there for 2 or 3 months now. I went into a walk in clinic and was told that it was just broken blood vessels but I don't believe that. The marks don't itch, thay're just there on my foot, sometimes they grow bigger and othertimes they looks like they are finally going away. I'm only 20 years old and I already suffer from Epilepsy and Hyperthyriodism, I don't want to deal with this aswell...