What does it mean when cord is tethered? How it is possible that someone child has "tethered" spinal cord? My friend’s child has fatty mass on his back and he shown some orthopedic problems. After evaluations by two doctors he was diagnosed with tethered spinal cord. I would like to be informed about this condition. I am worried about him. Thanks

The cord is said to be tethered when it is abnormally attached within the boney spine and there are two ways the spinal cord can become tethered. First one is if their child was born with open spine then the cord could become tethered because of the scar tissue that resulted from surgically closing the spine at birth. And this scar tissue causes the cord to attach abnormally. Second one is when the spinal cord can also become tethered with spina bifida occulta. However, in both cases, the tube that forms the spine failed to completely close during pregnancy. This may not be a problem until the symptoms are developed. Normally the spinal cord is able to move freely when kid bends or stretches but when it is tethered; it is stretched, especially with those movements. This “abnormal” stretching puts extra tension on the cord that can cause permanent damage to the muscles and nerves that control the legs, feet, bowel and bladder.