Hi, folks. My neighbor has recently been injured in a car accident. I think he hurt his spinal cord. I would like to know what can be the cause of spinal cord injuries in general. What do you think? I will really appreciate all your replies in advance. Bye and thanks for helping!

Hi, there. There are five usual injuries of spinal cord. If the tissues around the cord are injured by sudden jolt, then there is a concussion. It usually passes in few hours. Another type is spinal contusion and it is caused by an object that compresses the nerve tissue. Tumor can cause this. Injury can happen when it is torn or even cut. The most injuries happen in car accidents, almost 50%. They can also be caused by fall, physical violence or sport injury. The alcohol and drugs use is often responsible for this. I hope your neighbor will feel better. Bye!