Hi, I am very concerned about my son. He is a passionate rollerblade rider. I have asked him a thousand times to be careful, because I know that this is a dangerous sport. And two weeks ago the worst has happened. He had an accident and hurt his spinal cord. The doctors say that it is a partial cord lesion and that he might preserve some sensation in his legs. What does it mean? Is there a chance that because of spinal cord lesion my son could become paralyzed?

Hello, I am very sorry to hear that your son had such an accident. Spinal cord is a kind of connection between our brain and the rest of the body. The neurons that build the spinal cord transport information from and to the brain. If an injury happens to these neurons a link between the body and the brain is disrupted. Based on the severity and the location of the spinal cord lesion consequences are predicted. I am afraid that the chance of your son becoming paralyzed exists, but you should not despair. Judging from what you have told me I would say that your son injured the lumbar part of his spine and that the doctors have determined that it is a partial spinal cord lesion. If this is the case than there is a great chance that your son will recover. However, recovery period for spinal cord lesions is long and the doctors believe that the first two years after the injury are most important. This is the time after which they believe that there is no greater chance for improvement. The rehabilitation will begin during the hospitalization and will last for some time after the discharge from the hospital. Besides, your son, you and the rest of family members will also be trained to deal with this new situation. I hope that your son will recover and that you will be able to help him on his way.