What are the signs of tethered cord syndrome? I just heard of this syndrome. It seems that there is a new diseases or syndrome developed every day….I was worried because it happen to one of my friend’s daughter. I am mother also and I am always worried about my kids.

The symptoms and signs of a tethered cord are not always obvious. Many patients may experience a delayed diagnosis, so it is important to diagnose this condition as soon as possible because the neurological defect that results from abnormal stretching of the spinal cord may not be reversed by surgery. The most common signs of it include loss of function in the legs or loss of bowel or bladder control. Also other symptoms include: decrease in strength of legs or feet, leg or back pain, stumbling or walking changes, deformity of the legs or hips, loss of reflexes and sensation in the legs and also skin abnormalities directly overlying the spinal cord, like midline dimples or tracts leading from the skin toward the spinal cord, birthmarks, hairy patches, skin discoloration, skin tags or fatty lumps.