I was injured in a motor vehicle accident eirlier this month an would like some help in finding out what i may expect with recovery.

I have a burst fracture of L3 which has also contributed to 30% canal narrowing.
I have been fitted with a polythene jacket for 3 months but no one has explained to me where i go from there. will i be able to work as a serveyor in the future? will i experience neck or back pain? will i be able to lift heavy things? will i get authritis? will it effect child bearing? etc? quite scared about it an the doctors dont tell me anything

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are feeling better.
Anyway, I have a question for you.
Has your doctor sugested spinal surgery to release the compression of your spinal cord?

If so, you need to consider it because if the spinal cord is compressed, you will have pain and problems until it is decompressed.. Some vertebra will mend them self, but a spinal compression wont.

As far as child bearing, with your problem being in the Lumbar spine, you will most likely have moderate discomfort while carrying a child. The abdominal pressure pushes against the spine and the lumbar spine in right in the path.

Hopefully you wont experience back proablems the rest of your life, but you need to have a very long talk with your neuro surgeon about this and see if there is anything they can do to correct it.
They will use traction first to see if it will release the spinal cord. If this does not work, they will most likely give you epidural shots in that area to help. You can only have 3 of those within a year. They will most likely give you cortisone shots as well. They say this works, but none of it worked for me and I had 25-35 percent spinal compression at cervical spine c-5/c-6, So I can tell you first hand that spinal compression is very painful. I had a total disk replacement and Im in worse pain now, than before. So surgery isnt always the answer.
It wont be a bad idea to get a second opinion.
Good luck and may God spead your recovery.
Please feel free to ask anything, I will be glad to help in any way I can.
Donna

Hi, hope you are fine now.
Recently, 3 days ago my brother had a car accident and broke his L3 fracture. Surgery was made and his surgeon promises that he will walk in 6-8 months. What I want to ask you, is there any problem with your walking? Can you walk now? Your answer is very important for me to now what should I expect. 
Thank you before, God bless you.

It's amazing what we can put up with, I went to an After Hrs Medical Clinic complianing  of pain in  various places, mainly my shoulder due to a work related injury, any way, I casually mentioned that I was getting pain in my lower back and I was getting "puffed" a lot quicker..and couldn't work as well as I used to in the garden. (At 56 I thought it was normal) I had been lifting huge rocks and shovelling wheel barrow loads of soil around., so he sent me for an x-ray, I have an L3 # ... with sclerosis of the lower joints..crazy huh???( I had been seeing my own Dr for years who I had felt had become complacent) Just to add to this..The M.O. from the Clinic was so thorough it was amazing!

heyyyy i had a l3 fractured 7 months ago on 27 june 2012 had a fall from 30 feets directly over bricks i got a peddicle y normal
nths i m completlscrew with a bridge placed on my l3 now after 7 mo