I had a thryoidectomy on March 8, 2012. I had several complications but the lasting complication I am still dealing with is what they call tethering of my scar. The scar on the outside actually looks fabulous and you can hardly see it already. However, inside the scar tissue has attached somewhere that it shouldn't be attached so when I swallow now the whole incision area lifts up, the skin dimples, and then it releases. It looks very strange. Quite frankly it is the main reason I still want to wear a scarf. Has anyone else had this problem? I went to a scar specialist who said he could do surgery but there was no guarantee it would work - and it could possibly make it worse. I am going to a myo-facial massage person tomorrow who specializes in scars as I was told that massage could help. Any ideas or encouragements? My one vocal cord was partially paralyzed after surgery but that is coming back now. I also lost 3 of 4 parathyroids, but my one little parathyroid seems to be managing my calcium levels fine now. Thanks.

Hello I too am still having problems 3 months after surgery. Surgeon says it is scar tissue, lots of it. Gave me steroid injection in the knot in my neck and will do another injection next month. He said I would notice any difference with first one. My symptoms are tightness in neck that moves around, the feeling of being strangled, knot in throat, scared of choking to death. I dont know how much longer I can deal with this!

Hi, did the myofacial massage help? I have the same problem. Any advice would be appreciated!

Did you find any results regarding your tethered scar? You described my scar perfectly! Thanks