Hello! My son has problems with repeated throat infections. He had three of them in last six months. He spent many days absent from school and he has taken many antibiotics recently. Since he is seven years old I think his condition will improve as he gets older. His doctor recommends tonsillectomy. I don't know what to do. Is tonsillectomy really necessary? Is there any other way to solve his throat problems?

Hello! Tonsillectomy is usually recommended if a child has frequent tonsillitis, seven in one year or five per year over two years. Enlarged tonsils that interfere with breathing are also the reason for surgery. The surgery is also recommended when abscess are formed on the tonsils. Your son's doctor should have explained all possible risks and benefits of the surgery. Don't be afraid to talk about your concerns with him. Ask him as many questions you need. You can also seek a second opinion from another doctor if you are still not sure about the surgery.