Hi. I'm 35 years old female and I'm very worried about my only son. You see, he is only 13 years old but I believe he has developed some hormone imbalance. About few months back I have noticed that his breasts are a bit bigger then they should usually be.
I thought that this condition will resolve by it self but not only that it didn’t but the situation only get worse.
His breasts are just getting bigger and bigger. My mother told me that this is normal thing in boys his age and that’s why I didn’t contact any doctor over this. But the truth is that I don’t know anything about this I would appreciate if someone could tell me more about this specific and strange condition!

Hello. I believe we are talking about simple gynecomastia syndrome and that’s why I will try to explain you some facts about this.
The simplest definition is that the gynecomastia is the growth of glandular tissue in male breasts. It is very common condition among men between 10 and 16yrs old but the problem is that it can result in terrible embarrassment, teasing, and social trauma.
I think that your son didn’t develop any serious condition or hormonal imbalance because gynecomastia is usually secondary to the normal hormonal imbalances between testosterone and estrogen that commonly occurs during puberty.
I must tell you also that there are also some diseases that can cause gynecomastia, including certain endocrine disorders, tumors and chronic diseases.

A LOT of people get mixed up between gynecomastia and symple puffy nipples

Is your son overweight or tall for his age??

-a lot of teenage boys have larger or "puffy" nipples.. theres little bubbly things under them.. this is ok.. although it can prevent your son from wanting to take off his shirt in front of other people, it does no damage to your son at all.. they will eventually go away, tho it could take years...

**edited by moderator**

It's likely just a side effect of puberty and should go away soon. Is he overweight? It's possible that he's simply storing excess body fat in his breast region. Advise him to get regular exercise and eat better. Also, some cases of extensive lavendar use (in bath oils and soaps) have been documented in causing cases of gynecomastia in young males- removing lavendar products in these cases resulted in reversal of gynecomastia within a few weeks.

So:1. check for lavendar bath products and remove them
2. wait a bit
3.encourage him to maintain a healthy weight

Hello I would like to let you know that this will probably not be a threat to your son phsically but can be a serious problem psychologically as he is growing up throughout his life.

I have this problem too, it started when I was 12 or 13 years old. It has been a terrible curse for me ruining all sorts of social situations in my life. No matter what age you are with this problem you are either made to feel like there is something wrong with you or if they are nicer they just don't let you know what they are doing. After a while you just start avoiding social situations all together because of all the pain. Mine are particularly bad. But from what I've learned no case is easy to get rid of.

Anyone who says that it's not a big deal and it will fix itself really just doesn't understand how major this is and they do not have a clue what they are talking about. It will depend alot on your son's personality and how he can deal with it. It will never be easy, at any age this problem can create many problems for him. Let me tell you how hard it is to attract a woman when you have male breasts. Life can be very cruel.

I don't want to depress you, I hope this makes you learn more about this so you can help him if he wants to do something about it. I know I never had the guts to say anything about it to my parents. It has taken me more than 20 years to even talk about it to the people I am closest too.

The younger he starts dealing with it the better, because it will be very hard and take a very long time to achieve any results if possible at all.
Talk to your doctor, if he laughs it off and says it will go away then find another doctor and another untill you find one that listens. This is not an easy problem to solve and you can use all the good help you can get.

Good luck too you I wish the best for you and your son.