One friend of mine told me alternative name for hypogonadism is gonadal deficiency. I have never heard anything about it, so I have no idea is that true or it is not. Moreover, I have never met a person with hypogonadism, so I really do not know much about it. That is why I was wondering could you tell me what hypogonadism is. I would appreciate any info about this problem.

Hypogonadism is a reduced or absent secretion of hormones from the sex glands, which are also known as gonads. In men, these are the testes, while in women those are ovaries. The cause of hypogonadism may be primary or in other cases, cause is central. In primary hypogonadism, the ovaries or testes themselves do not function properly as they should. Some causes of primary hypogonadism include surgery, radiation, genetic and developmental disorders, or liver and kidney disease. In some cases infection and certain autoimmune disorders could cause hypogonadism. The most common genetic disorders that cause primary hypogonadism are Turner syndrome that occur in women, and Klinefelter syndrome in men. Causes of central hypogonadism include tumors, surgery, radiation, infections, trauma, bleeding, or genetic problems. If there is a correctible cause of hypogonadism, in these cases medications may be given, as well as surgery or radiation therapy.