I have been overweight my whole life ever since I was a child. After my two pregnancies I didn’t pay much attention to what I was eating, didn’t exercise and this resulted in me becoming obese. I am 54 years now and being obese influences many aspects in my life in not such a positive way, not to mention that it has on my health. I realized I needed professional help with loosing weight. Besides the dieting and exercise program I am supposed to take an obesity drug called Meridia. I am interested in how this drug works as I know that some of these drugs have been withdrawn from the market because of their negative influence on people’s health.

Hi there. Yes, Meridia has been introduced to the market back in 1997, after two obesity drugs have been withdrawn. There is a slight difference in how these drugs work. Both types suppress appetite via serotonin (and norepinephrine) re-uptake inhibition. The difference is that fenfluramine boosts the levels of serotonin in the blood stream causing heart problems in some people while meridia is more localized and acts directly on the on the brain’s appetite control center. Meridia acts to inhibit the reabsorption of serotonin so that the signal lasts longer, giving the sensation that we are full for a longer period of time. This method is believed to effectively reduce the caloric intake due to appetite suppression. This method also reduces depression.

I I just started taking Meridia, it has been three days I have been a little confused, and dizzy and cant sleep at all!!!
BUT I have no appetite what so ever, I need to loose 50 lbs I think this will work, but anyone else not sleeping?
I dotn want to be another Judy Garland where I am takign uppers dring the day nad ambien at night to sleep!!!
soembody out there have the same issue?