I am diagnosed with Menieres disease. That information I got yesterday, from my doctor. Now I have explication for my tinnitus and 10 hearing loss as well for my vertigo. My doctor didnt have enough time to explain to me, so I must ask about it like this. She didnt tell me anything about therapy for my disease. My therapy should be sent to me. Do you know what can I expect?

Here is some information about your disease. Menieres disease is characterized by episodic vertigo, fluctuating sensoneural hearing loss, tinnitus and aural fullness. Tinnitus and vertigo are progressing along with progress of a disease itself. There is not definite cause of this disease, few possibilities are infection, trauma, tumor, autoimmune diseases. For treatment are usually prescribed: low-salt diet, diuretics, short course of glucocorticoids and gentamicin (put in to your ear). Surgical therapy is only for unresponsive cases.

I've had Menieres since I was 29 (I'm 42 now). My doctor thinks its a result of adult-onset of allergies in my case. In a nutshell, people like us have too much fluid in our inner ear for some reason. Maybe we produce too much, maybe the fluid we produce is too thick to drain or be reabsorbed properly. Could be different reasons in different people. But when you have too much fluid in the inner ear, it presses all around the inner ear which tells your brain that you are moving in all directions at once. This results in extreme vertigo as your poor brain tries to make sense of this information and tries to counteract your supposed leaning or spinning. This is also very mentally exhausting so you'll feel quite tired afterwards even if you've spent 8 hours lying down. Everyone's case is different and I am probably a worst-case scenario myself. Having said that, my life is better now than it ever was before I got the disease so don't think that happiness is not possible unless you "kick" this disease. Take your time to learn about it. Remove all sources of stress from your life (stress completely aggravates the symptoms). Drink plenty of fluids as this might help to thin out your inner ear fluid (I actually only just thought of this-I never drink water). Best of luck to you.