I am in the US Navy, and on my way back from deployment in April of 2002, I woke up one morning to go up and relieve the watch. As the alarm went off, I leaned over to turn it off, but when I opened my eyes I felt as if I was in a huge ball rolling down a hill. Everything around me was in a rapid 3-D type of spin. My immediate reaction was to think that we were in rough seas, so I closed my eyes tightly and buried my head in my pillow. However, this didn't help. The episode only lasted for about 90 seconds. As it subsided, I got up out of my rack and started to head down towards the shower to get ready for watch turnover. But, as I was walking I had a very difficult time keeping my balance even though the "spinning" had ceased. I remember thinking, "man we are in a bad storm". So I showered and got dressed, but when I looked outside, the seas were like glass....smooth as a baby's bottom. Over the course of the next 2 weeks, I experienced on average 3 violent vertigo episodes per day, accompanied by nausea, rapid increase in both tinnitus and aural fullness, and hearing loss in my left ear. I went to see Dr. Jeffrey Kuhn at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth ENT Clinic, and he eventually diagnosed me with Left Meniere's Disease.

During one of my routine doctor's visits with Dr. Kuhn in September 2007, we were going back over my symptoms. At the end of the conversation, I just happened to mention to him that I got dizzy when I sneezed, and he gave me a bit of a double take. He asked me if I got dizzy when I yawned or blew my nose, and I told him yes. So, he set up a CT scan, which to our surprise revealed a bilateral Dehiscence. Since then, I've had an increase in several other symptoms. I hear my voice reverberating through the left side of my head, as if I'm talking with industrial strength ear plugs in. I also hear my eyes move....they "creak" when I move them back and forth. When I move my head from side to side, my neck bones sound as if I'm under water and someone is popping their knuckles. The aural pressure has gotten worse. The tinnitus is still going strong. I can't do anything in the vertical plane of motion (such as standing up from a chair, situps, pushups, etc) without almost falling over. So, Dr. Kuhn has suggested surgery, and my wife and I are seriously considering it. My quality of life has degraded to the point that I think it's worth it. The surgery will be on the left side first. We'll see how my body responds, and then make a determination about the right side. Hopefully that won't be needed.

My question to anyone out there who has had the procedure....have you had any long lasting negative effects that make you wish you hadn't done it?

Thanks for listening, and thank you for the information.

ckcjeques