Good day!
For the past week or so, I have been experiencing acute dizziness that lasts for only a few seconds. Sometimes, my eyes and balance seem to temporarily become disoriented, too. I also have tinnitus (higher pitched than normal). The odd thing is that it lasts only a few seconds, then goes away. These episodes occur several times each day. There doesn't seem to be any connection to body movement or position -- although the onset of the dizziness seems to occur when I move my head or eyes laterally (sometimes, but not every time).

One more thing -- after making love with my wife last night, we laid down to sleep. I "heard" a loud static sound in my ears several times. One was so loud, I asked my wife if she heard it. The "sound" seemed to come from my heartbeat, though "hearing" the "sound" was VERY erratic. It lasted off and on for more than an hour -- and kept me awake.

The originally mentioned episodes started a little more than a week ago. I have had no recent illness or injury. I was around two indoor dogs for 5 days -- and I have an allergy to dog hair. My nose and eyes are not pouring (the normal symptoms of my acute allergies), so I'm not sure if the problem is allergy related.

About Me:
43 yo male w/ fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, mild spinal stenosis, osteophytes @ C6-C7 and L4-L5 (lumbar involves nerve impingement), hypolipidemia and multiple minor allergies

Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts or suggestions? My doctor is quite good, but I realize this type of condition is often NOT diagnosed.

Hi Charlie,

It could be any number of things, but one thing that comes to mind (and don't freak out, it's just a possibility) is multiple sclerosis. MS is a progressive degenerative disease of the central nervous system characterized by dizziness, numbness, optic neuritis - blurry vision, eye pain - and eventually causes paralysis in some people.

The reason your symptoms made me think of MS is because some people with lesions in their spinal cord in their neck describe a buzzing or ringing when tipping the head laterally. This is known as L'Hermittes sign. You may want to visit this website...

************

And ask your doctor to be referred to a neurologist.

**this post is edited by moderator ** web addresses not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

Best of luck and let me know what you find out.

rosie

I was wondering if the original poster ever found an answer to his problem

I experience the exact same thing, a sudden dizziness or disorientation that I can't connect with anything, doesn't seem to be related to movement of my head, but maybe. only lasts a second or so. I feel as though it may be related to sleep deprivation on days when I don't get enough rest but Im not sure.

I am a 19 year old male with no diagnosed health issues.

I have asked my doctor, he wasn't concerned because there is no pain related to this, he examined my ears for inner ear problems and found nothing. He concluded that it may be due to stress or anxiety. But I dont feel I am a very stressed person.

Any answers anyone may have are appreciated

Found this on a Vertigo site ..

'Numerous causes of vertigo are thought to exist, and the condition has been linked with tinnitus (ringing in your ears), loss of hearing, headache, double vision, stiff neck, depression, anxiety, head injuries, infections of your inner ear, multiple sclerosis, brain tumours, and age-related damage of your inner ear or brain. Statistics show that one out of ten patients visiting their doctor suffers from vertigo, and your chances of developing the condition increase with age'

I think you should go to the doctor and tell them you think it could be Vertigo, and then they can carry out some tests t find out what type. :-)