I have a friend who said he has Meniere’s. He described it as rare disease, which so much people even do not know it exist. However, he told me the symptoms of Meniere’s disease are episodic rotational vertigo and attacks of a spinning sensation. I know he experienced hearing loss, tinnitus, as a roaring, buzzing, or ringing sound in the ear, and a sensation of fullness in the affected ear. Can you give me something more about this problem, because I am interested into finding out more?

Tinnitus and fullness of the ear in Meniere’s disease may come and go with changes in hearing, and it specific for this disease. This problem might occur during or just before attacks, or be constant. There may also be an intermittent hearing loss in the early stages of Meniere’s disease. It happens especially in the low pitches, but a fixed hearing loss involving tones of all pitches commonly develops in time. Loud sounds may be uncomfortable and seem distorted in the affected ear, which you might notice that is happening with your friend. From all Meniere’s disease’s symptoms, vertigo is usually the most troublesome symptom. Meniere’s disease, also called idiopathicendolymphatic hydrops, and as you probably know until now, it is a disorder of the inner ear. Although the cause for this disease is unknown, it probably results from an abnormality in the fluids of the inner ear. Meniere’s disease is one of the most common causes of dizziness originating in the inner ear, where in most cases only one ear is involved, but both ears may be affected also. Meniere’s disease typically starts between the ages of 20 and 50 years, and men and women are affected in equal numbers.