Hi, folks. My brother had some trauma recently. Later, he developed perinephritic abscess. I would like to know if drainage is a routine method for dealing with this condition since this is my brother’s current treatment. I hope someone will know to answer my question. I would appreciate it very much. Bye!

Hello, there. Perinephritic abscess can happen because of various factors. Usually infection spreads from surroundings to the connective tissue that surrounds the kidney. Free drainage is one of the methods for treating this condition. All pus must be evacuated. However, this is not enough. Antibiotics must be also given to prevent some more serious complications. I think they are given intravenously. I am sure your brother is getting them, but you haven’t noticed it. I hope everything will be all right with him. Good luck!